Cannot connect to Verizon (AOL) mail using Outlook or account in iPhone
JEKNUDI
Enthusiast - Level 1

Have been using Verizon (AOL) email since migration and connecting via Outlook and account set up in iPhone.  Now Username and password rejected by server in both accounts - Outlook and iPhone.

Can successfully access email via AOL web using same credentials.  

Incoming: Pop.verizon.net SSL 995

Outgoing: smtp.verizon.net SSL 465

username uses the entire email address (name@verizon.net)

What is the issue here???????

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Cannot connect to Verizon (AOL) mail using Outlook or account in iPhone
DonnS
Enthusiast - Level 1

The answer is to create and use an app password on the AOL website. Log into AOL, go to your account, Account Security. Under the section How you sign in to Aol look for the link that says Generate and manage app passwords. If you follow that link a window pops up where you can create an app password. Put in the name of your 3rd party email client (I used this on Mozilla Thunderbird and Android Gmail, you don't have to have the exact name of your client, just something that reminds you of which app that password goes to) and it creates an app password. Then sign into your verison email account on your 3rd party app using the app password that was generated.

AOL is doing this because they fear that insecure 3rd party apps will leak your main AOL password when you use it to sign in. It would have been nice if they had notified us (by email!) before making this change.

View solution in original post

dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Also:

imap.aim.com:993:1

smtp.aim.com:465:1

jfair1962
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am having he same issue using Outlook on my desktop.  I have followed the AOL instructions for generating a password on the Account Security page, but it still does not work  I was able to get the AOL to connect on the Apple mail on the iPhone using the the instructions.  But no go on the desktop Outlook.

0 Likes
StrugglingThru
Enthusiast - Level 1

The desktop Outlook 2016 to Verizon (AOL) mail via POP problem (as of Jan 2022) has two parts: 

1) Outlook thinks verizon.net uses the pop.mail.yahoo.com server, but the correct server is pop.verizon.net

2) AOL email server will not allow Outlook to directly log in using the normal password, since the normal password is connected to 2-factor authorization. Instead a different password is required.

To overcome problem #1, in Outlook I clicked File and then Account Settings, then I deleted the connection to my existing verizon.net account which was connected to the old POP and SMTP servers. Then I returned to the File, and clicked "+Add Account" followed by POP to re-create the connection but now with the new pop.verizon.net and smtp.verizon.net servers. However, Outlook substituted in the yahoo servers instead, so Outlook failed to log-in. But after that failure Outlook shows a screen that allows you to Change the mail settings, and there one can re-enter the pop.verizon.net and smtp.verizon.net servers, and this second time they are used correctly. However, one needs a new password because of problem #2....

To overcome Problem #2, one needs to log in to AOL email directly, and then Click "Options" in the upper right, then click Account Info, then Click Account Security. Towards the bottom there is an option to generate an App Password. Use that to generate a special password for Outlook. Enter this special password when Outlook asks for the password for pop.verizon.net

Hopefully this will be successful, as it was for me. Good luck!  Hopefully AOL, Verizon, and Microsoft will all post these instructions in ways that are easy for their customers to understand.

DonnS
Enthusiast - Level 1

The answer is to create and use an app password on the AOL website. Log into AOL, go to your account, Account Security. Under the section How you sign in to Aol look for the link that says Generate and manage app passwords. If you follow that link a window pops up where you can create an app password. Put in the name of your 3rd party email client (I used this on Mozilla Thunderbird and Android Gmail, you don't have to have the exact name of your client, just something that reminds you of which app that password goes to) and it creates an app password. Then sign into your verison email account on your 3rd party app using the app password that was generated.

AOL is doing this because they fear that insecure 3rd party apps will leak your main AOL password when you use it to sign in. It would have been nice if they had notified us (by email!) before making this change.

JPcoho
Enthusiast - Level 1

Adding the app password mentioned in the last two replies did the trick.  Thank you both.

RAGH1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Ditto.  Cannot thank you enough!

Armchair1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I followed these instructions on a desktop PC running Outlook (only device using third party app for the account) however, it only resolved incoming email - still couldn't send email.   Noticed I had TWO devices listed in the Security Settings (including the new one I named "Outlook").    Once I removed the older one by changing the password to the account, and updated it in Outlook settings, everything started working again.  (Also had to update password on a tablet using AOL app).

Many, many thanks for this info!  

tintin237
Enthusiast - Level 1

I've battled this issue for more than a week. My mail is downloading again from the POP3 server. You're a genius, and I can't thank you enough for posting such a clear, understandable solution.