Re: Cannot connect to Verizon (AOL) mail using Outlook or account in iPhone
DebH77

Thank you!!!! After months of not working, this is what I needed. It works!!!

0 Likes
EagleMan

I don't understand this situation. I'm still getting my emails on my cellphone OK, and haven't changed my password for it. My Outlook is a different matter. I went through the AOL APP password thing and got it to work on my laptop. I'd been having issues with my desktop PC. So when I got it back up and running, it wouldn't work, so I used the same APP Password I got from AOL for the laptop. I started receiving OK. The next day I checked my emails on my PC, and I stopped receiving. I tried my original password - no good. Tried the new APP password - no good too.  Why did it work the first time. If I request a new one, is it based on an algorithm of my username or something? If I request a new APP password, will it negate the email account on my laptop, or will it be the same as the last time?

Why can't people leave stuff the way it was when it was working?? IF IT AIN'T BROKE - DON'T FIX IT!!!

This has been the most frustrating issue I've had for the past several months. And I've worked with computers since 1965.

0 Likes
EagleMan

So, I checked my laptop. Both my laptop and my PC stopped receiving on Monday at 9:44 PM. I can do a test on my laptop, and it will send a test message.  I did notice on my laptop I was getting these "Your IMAP has closed your session" messages. I can connect to the server OK. I can send a message from my laptop, but I can't receive it back. I receive them on my cell phone.

My PC will NOT send a test message. It logs on to the incoming mail server, then Send test e-mail message shows Failed.  Errors: It says The connection to the server was interrupted. 

What, exactly, is AOL/Yahoo doing? And why isn't my cellphone affected?

Way back, when I actually called AOL, they wanted access to my laptop to see what was wrong. I don't allow some tech-nerd access to my computers, especially when I don't even know if they're located in the US. 

0 Likes
EagleMan

Now I talked with the support folks at AOL regarding this issue. It seems that you have to have a separate password for each computer. You can't use the same generated password for the same version of Outlook. I had to get a new password for my laptop and got it working.  But I couldn't send when the Outgoing mail server for IMAP was set to smtp.verizon.net. It would only send when it was set to smtp.aol.com. 

When I changed the password on my PC, it took a bit, but emails started coming in after changing to a another new password.

I explained to the technician that AOL needs to post more complete instructions online and maybe send an email blast to all Verizon customers with step-by-step, concise instructions.

0 Likes
GDR11

Still doesn't work for me using Outlook 2016.  Could you spell out the options for all the choices for the pop 3 server besides pop.verizon.net and smtp.verizon.net.

I thought I was tech savvy, but I just can't get this to work.

Thank you.

0 Likes
Re: Cannot connect to Verizon (AOL) mail using Outlook 2016 on PC
AolVerizonBug
Enthusiast - Level 1

The special password worked for me.    Finally!!!!

pennstatejeff

THIS IS THE SOLUTION!!!  Thanks to Contributor DonnS for posting.  I was having trouble adding an AOL (legacy Verizon.net user) email account to Outlook, and this after trying many different solutions posted here and elsewhere, this is the one.  Thank you!!!

0 Likes
tstbag

I swear to God this has been a problem for 3 years...  and this post finally has the answer.. 

0 Likes
kh-gary
Moderator Emeritus

In order to keep discussion on the community current, this topic has been locked to prevent new replies. If you have a similar question or issue that you wish to discuss, then please feel free to post a new message on the most relevant board. Thanks!

0 Likes
ontheair247
Enthusiast - Level 1

Now if I try to Generate another App Password in AOL Account Security I get an error message Sorry This Feature Is NOT AVAILABLE right now!

0 Likes