Certificate error after entering new e-mail settings
jeam
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hi,

I just changed my Outlook 2007 to the new port and security settings that Verizon recommended last week.

That seems to be working fine, but the first time I retrieved e-mail after making the change, a box popped up to warn me that, "Windows does not have enough information to verify this certificate." This is in relation to 'incoming.verizon.net' and the certificate authority is CyberTrust SureServer Standard Validation.

I just want to make sure that everything's kosher here -- and that applying the security settings Verizon requested hasn't actually ended up decreasing my security. Why would there be a certificate error?

Thanks in advance for any useful info or insights.

Re: Certificate error after entering new e-mail settings
Shamika_VZ
Contributor - Level 3

Good Morning,

Certificate errors are validating the certificate of the website. Have you checked to ensure the date and time are correct on your computer?

The new port is used to enhance your security with email.

Here is a helpful link:

http://www22.verizon.com/residentialhelp/fiosinternet/email/setup+and+use/questionsone/124274.htm?

0 Likes
jeam
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hi Shamika,

Yes, the date and time on the computer are correct. I use the Microsoft site (time.windows.com) for the time/date settings; is that inaccurate?

Here is a screenshot of the warning box:

This pops up every time I open my Outlook 2007. Note that it's blaming the (e-mail) server for the problem, and not my computer.

I followed to a T all the instructions given in the 12/14/2011 e-mail Verizon Notification announcing this change, titled "Important Changes to Your Verizon Email Account."

Unless there are privacy or security concerns, I can probably send you a copy of the security certificate in question to examine.

The main concern is to make sure that my mail isn't getting read or intercepted by someone who is not me, the people I correspond with, or Verizon's e-mail server.

0 Likes
tns
Master - Level 2

You probably have some out of date certificates in your machine.  NOT NECESSARILY the one used by Verizon, but the intermediate or trusted authority itself.

Which OS.  For windows XP only, try http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=6149

Shamika_VZ
Contributor - Level 3

Hello,

Yes you can send me what you are experincing in a private message. Also "TNS" made a very good point on certificates. Do you have any certificates, if so are they expired?

Shamika_Vz
Verizon Support

Notice: Content posted by Verizon employees is meant to be informational and does not supersede or change the Verizon Forums User Guidelines or Terms or Service, or your Customer Agreement Terms and Conditions or Plan.

0 Likes
jeam
Enthusiast - Level 3

tns,

Thanks for the link, it helped me to track down the information below.

I use Windows Vista. According to what I read on the Microsoft sites, my certificates are updated automatically. As a result, they never enter into my consciousness -- in fact, they never had till I changed the Verizon e-mail settings.

Here are some relevant links: this, this, and this. Apparently the only way to disable this automatic certificate updating is through the Group Policy Editor, and I have no idea how to do that, so it doesn't seem likely that the problem could be an out-of-date certificate.

Any other candidates for being the source of the problem?

0 Likes
jeam
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hi Shamika,

Would you like me to PM you the certificate information? Otherwise there isn't really anything else to describe about the problem, I've said it all in this thread.

Regarding out-of-date certificates, see my reply to "tns".

0 Likes
mwinnick

What is this all about? Does it have anything to do with an email I re ceived from Verizon today on email? How can this be so unorganized with so little information? I can't afford to be without email and I want to make sure this is not going to screw up my ability to send or receive email. I'm on Vista and using Outlook 2003.

0 Likes
mflannery1

The issue is the verizon certificate still lists the old names (incoming and outgoing) and not the new names (pop and smtp) so the cert cannot match.  Until verizon updates the cert, we are stuck.  It is not a security hole, just mismatching names, you can click OK to move past it

0 Likes
mflannery1

This is the verizon certificate.  It's not expired, but it has the old server name (incoming.verizon.net), and with the new settings, the cerificate no longer matches the new server name (mail.verizon.net).  Verizon has to update the cert, or provide an updated cert.

0 Likes