Changes to email settings.
GeneDL
Enthusiast - Level 2

At 3:15 PM on May 7, 2015, I received Verizon's email announcing changes to Verizon's email incoming and outgoing servers, and warnings that after June 9,2015, I would not be able to access Verizon's email unless I made the prescribed changes.  As no information was conveyed as to when it would be appropriate to make these changes, I assumed (bad idea) that it should be as soon as possible.  Fearing the worst, I dove in and made the changes as described in the email, and, true to form, my email no longer worked.  Fortunately, I had the foresight to make note of the previous settings and could restore my email service.  Then I went to the suggested links in the email to get more information on changing these settings, and, to my surprize, the handler that I use (Mozilla Thunderbird) was not included in the list of mail handlers.  I find it hard to believe that Thunderbird is so infrequently used that it doesn't rate notice by Verizon's programmers. 

So, please tell me when it is safe to make these changes, and, while you're at it, try to include Thunderbird on your list of change aids. Thanks.

0 Likes
Re: Changes to email settings.
Justin46
Legend

First of all, you are talking to other customers here, not Verizon, as is clearly documented here in the Forums, so we cannot add any setup info to Verizon's documentation. And Verizon rarely responds to posts here because this is specifically a user-helping-user forum.

Now, Verizon has been trying to get email customers to change the settings for at least a year, probably two or more. So you are way behind the times. I have been using the new settings for a long time, they work fine. I do not normally use Thunderbird, but I do have it installed, and it works just fine with the new settings.

SEARCH is your friend: the settings for Thunderbird have been documented here on the forums multiple times, you should be able to easily find complete documentation of the settings by doing a simple search.

Keller, TX 76248 (VHO 1)

0 Likes
TRAILSEEKER

WHY CANT I OPT OUT OF THIS CHANGE OF E-MAIL SETTINGS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN I GO TO COX OR ANY OTHER SERVER

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader
  1. The new email servers are more secure
  2. They have delayed for a few years in shutting down the old servers.  It cost extra money to run a second set of servers, and since its more than two years since they started this change, they want to shut them down
  3. They had a major security breach last year.  They have been trying to close down all the servers with weaker security.  They never specified where the breach occurred, might have been related to the old email service.

Not sure what you are asking about Cox, etc. 

• If you are using an email on one of them, it will continue to work with whatever cox uses (exception port 25 cannot be used, but that has been blocked for years). 
  • if you happen to be accessing Verizon Email from Cox it should work although some users have had problems not related to this change but from Verizon's attempt to block foreign hackers access.
  • If you are talking about switching to them for service good luck.
0 Likes
abcdefghij1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Can someone please clarify - last year around this time Verizon issued a notification that we had to change email settings. I remember some amount of confusion about these changes but I went ahead and did them some months ago and have been using Apple Mail with the changed settings since then.

Re. the current notification from Verizon about email settings, are these the same settings they advised us to use last year, or are these new changes that we have to make, above and beyond last year's?

Thanks.

0 Likes
Kayver

I'm also a Thunderbird user and got a similar message, but my end date was May 5, 2015. Today, May 20, my email stopped working. So I tried the new settings, but my email still didn't work. I couldn't download or send messages.

However, I discovered that my problem wasn't actually Thunderbird. The solution for me turned out to be the firewall settings in my Westell 7500 router. I had it set to maximum security. When I changed it to minimum security, Thunderbird email worked with the new settings.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Kayver wrote:

I'm also a Thunderbird user and got a similar message, but my end date was May 5, 2015. Today, May 20, my email stopped working. So I tried the new settings, but my email still didn't work. I couldn't download or send messages.

However, I discovered that my problem wasn't actually Thunderbird. The solution for me turned out to be the firewall settings in my Westell 7500 router. I had it set to maximum security. When I changed it to minimum security, Thunderbird email worked with the new settings.

Have you been using the newer settings or not.  They STARTED telling people to make these changes more than two years ago.  The settings are not different from the original announcement back then.

Note this morning their are widespread that the servers are down.  May have started yesterday evening.  Webmail is still working.

0 Likes