Email Sign-in for 2 Weeks
Holly1
Contributor - Level 3

When I use IE9 and check keep me signed in for 2 weeks I stay signed in for 2 weeks (with clearing browsing history  and cookies checked). However I just started using Firefox and I can't stay signed in for 2 weeks if I check clear cookies and Active Logins---checking either one of these two signs me out. Any ideas why this is happening and should I just uncheck these 2 and not be concerned about the cookies.Would it be ok to just clear history after those 2 week?  I don't like keeping cookies.

Holly

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Email Sign-in for 2 Weeks
Justin46
Legend

Holly,

When you choose the two-week login option there is at least one Verizon cookie that must be kept on your system for the login to work. So you need to not remove Verizon cookies when you exit the Verizon email application (or any Verizon application where you were logged in). As a Firefox user I use a free Add-on called "Selective Cookie Delete" that allows me to easily manage cookies - I have it set up to keep the cookies for certain domains like Verizon and to remove the cookies for all others.

Hope this helps.

Keller, TX 76248 (VHO 1)

View solution in original post

Justin46
Legend

Holly,

When you choose the two-week login option there is at least one Verizon cookie that must be kept on your system for the login to work. So you need to not remove Verizon cookies when you exit the Verizon email application (or any Verizon application where you were logged in). As a Firefox user I use a free Add-on called "Selective Cookie Delete" that allows me to easily manage cookies - I have it set up to keep the cookies for certain domains like Verizon and to remove the cookies for all others.

Hope this helps.

Keller, TX 76248 (VHO 1)

Holly1
Contributor - Level 3

Actually I had read about that Add-on but was wondering why I needed an Add-on for Firefox to stay signed in to Verizon for 2 weeks  but not an Add-on for IE to stay signed in for 2 weeks. For IE9 I  can clear my history with cookies checked and still stay signed in for 2 weeks---just curious.

Holly

0 Likes
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

IE has a built-in option to Preserve Favorites website data - This is what keeps your verizon.net cookie when you delete the cookies for IE.

Firefox does not have any setting like that, so addons have been built for that functionality.

Holly1
Contributor - Level 3

Thanks somegirl---I should have realized that. I guess I'm not always thinking clearly.

Holly

I'm  not sure if I want to use the Add-On as I read some reviews where some had other problems when they installed that Add-On. Have you had any problems with this Add-on and if not exactly what do I mark or check on this Add-on to keep me signed in for 2 weeks without getting a lot of other cookies.

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Hi Holly1,

If you don't want to use an add-on, the best way to do what you are trying to accomplish is to go to Firefox Options>Privacy and check "Accept cookies from sites," and select "Keep until I close Firefox."  If you also check "Clear history when Firefox closes," in Settings, uncheck the box for Cookies (as this will otherwise remove all cookies, even the ones you want to keep).  Finally, click the "Exceptions" button and add Verizon.com and click "Allow."  Now, whenever you close Firefox, all cookies will be removed except the ones for Verizon.  Because the "Clear History" feature will clear all cookies, even those that you "allow," it is better to manage cookies by using the "Keep until I close Firefox" option and adding any sites that you need to keep to the exceptions list.

Justin46
Legend

@Holly1 wrote:

Thanks somegirl---I should have realized that. I guess I'm not always thinking clearly.

Holly

I'm  not sure if I want to use the Add-On as I read some reviews where some had other problems when they installed that Add-On. Have you had any problems with this Add-on and if not exactly what do I mark or check on this Add-on to keep me signed in for 2 weeks without getting a lot of other cookies.

Holly,

All I can tell you is that I have being using Selective Cookie Delete in Firefox now for at least several years over a number of Firefox releases and have not had a single problem with it. Here are my settings:

And for my Site List the Verizon sites I have whitelisted are:

I obviously have a number of other domains whitelisted besides Verizon, it just makes working with websites I trust that much easier.

I played around a long time with trying to get the 2-week login to work, I finally settled on this solution. While there are I am sure other ways to accomplish it, this has worked well for me. And of course if you install any Add-on in Firefox and you don't like it or it doesn't work for you, you can always delete it.

Hope this helps.

Keller, TX 76248 (VHO 1)

Holly1
Contributor - Level 3

I appreciate all the help. Right now I have thought about getting all the cookies and then after the 2 week login clearing all history and cookies,but I guess some cookies might be harmful. Or maybe I will clear all history each time I exit Firefox and just sign in each time as it doesn't take that long to do.

Also Lawrence C has some suggestions, but I'm not sure I understand all his directions as I can't find all the things he has mentioined to do. I have Firefox version 29. I did find under Privacy in Options that if I change the default Remember History to Use  Custom Settings for History other drop downs show and one is Exceptions for Deleting Cookies.

You would think that Firefox would have  in later versions a Preserve Favorites website data that could be checked.

I like most things about firefox, although for a few days after installing it. I couldn't always get sound and video and got a message about  a plugin not working. However, I am no longer having problems with that. It just suddenly started working.

Holly 

PS:

I originally installed Firefox because of the Microsoft security problem recently disovered but then a few days after installing Firefox Microsoft came up with an update to solve the security problem. I will keep Firefox as it's nice to have two browsers. 

Thanks again for all your help!!

0 Likes