Error-Data size?
dblum

Keep trying to send some pictures to friends and I keep getting error messages saying I've exceeded the allowed data size.  Is there any way to change this?  I keep removing pictures trying to get within the allowed range, but no luck.  Help?

0 Likes
Re: Error-Data size?
Justin46
Legend

How big are the pictures you are trying to send? And how many at one time?

All email systems have limits on the total size of an email. Frequently the sending limit is in the 8 MB range for a single email, could be less and I suppose could be more, and 8 to 10 MB for the total size of all emails that can be in an email inbox at a time (at the receiving end).

There are a number of options available to you:

1) Send fewer pictures in each email. Of course if each picture is huge this is not going to help, and if there are lots of pictures can take a while to do.

2) Resize the pictures before sending. If you are sending the pictures just for viewing on a computer as opposed to printing high quality prints, then resizing is the best option IMO. Assuming you are using a Windows PC, there are numerous programs for resizing pictures; I like the free VSO Image Resizer, and if you are on Windows XP the there is a free Microsoft Power Tool that will do it, download it from Microsoft's website.

3) Post the pictures on a website, then include a link to the pictures in your email. I have never used this option, but I know they exist, one is Photobucket, a free site for sharing photos.

Hope this helps.

Keller, TX 76248

dblum

The last time I tried the total size of the email was 8 MB.  It hasn't arrived yet; I'm expecting to get another error message any time soon.  I honestly didn't think that was too big a file to send.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@dblum wrote:

The last time I tried the total size of the email was 8 MB.  It hasn't arrived yet; I'm expecting to get another error message any time soon.  I honestly didn't think that was too big a file to send.

For some email servers it is.

If you are getting an error message back from the receiving site, then that is that person's email server rejecting the email, and they can have it set any way they want, maximum size of single email, total email in the inbox, both, whatever. As I said, many email servers set the total size of the mail in an inbox to 10 MB, so if there is already 8 MB there and you send just over 2 MB it will be rejected. Usually the message in that case though is pretty obvious, will be something like "inbox is full."

As I said earlier, you have options though.....

Keller, TX 76248

dblum

Thanks.  It doesn't appear to be on the receiving end, but on the sending end!  So, I guess I'll just split them up or reduce the size.  Thanks again.

0 Likes