Has anyone successfully set up SSL email in thunderbird?
eda1
Enthusiast - Level 3

[regarding dsl, not fios]

It may be  that I have a more complicated than usual proxy situation - I already do a lot of online work on secure and anonymizing networks. Still, when after ignoring verizon's instructions for some months I finally got around to reconfiguring thunderbird for https I found it not to be helpful. I have two questions:

* For how long will I be able to continue with the old http connections?

* has anyone been able to reconfigure thunderbird and log on successfully without having to go through the extra steps I describe here? -

Resetting to SSL ports as instructed, but not switching out of "system proxy settings", I was unable to connect. What I had to do was manually set to the proxy that I use for my secure network and then invoke that network in order to receive and send mail. This is a great bother, as well as probably reducing overall security when I actually need it. I'm really curious to know if anyone has actually successfully reset thunderbird by following only the directions given by verizon. - Thanks for any feedback eda

0 Likes
Re: Has anyone successfully set up SSL email in thunderbird?
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

What particular error are you getting when you change the SSL settings? Verizon is having some huge mail server issues at the moment regarding connection limits, so you might be bumping heads with that rather than jumbled up proxy settings. I do suggest sending mail directly rather than over a proxy, though. Especially with Verizon's mail servers and the recent security changes.

0 Likes
Re: Has anyone successfully set up SSL email in thunderbird?
eda1
Enthusiast - Level 3

@Smith6612 wrote:

What particular error are you getting when you change the SSL settings? Verizon is having some huge mail server issues at the moment regarding connection limits, so you might be bumping heads with that rather than jumbled up proxy settings. I do suggest sending mail directly rather than over a proxy, though. Especially with Verizon's mail servers and the recent security changes.

Resetting to  SSL in Accounts Settings without changing the proxy setting in Options > Advanced > Network > Settings (ie. followeing verizon's directions) results in:

Getting mail: Times out during "connecting", without any error message.

Sending mail: Times out during "connecting", with a "timed out" error message.

I think our various experiences reflects mis-configurations at the different verizon switching centers and has nothing to do with our individual setups. Someday wne I have a couple of hours to kill I'll try phoning verizon tech support & having them to look at the center I'm wired to. 
0 Likes