help! - new email settings not working with my macbook entourage email
KelCool

most annoying thing ever.

3rd try.

i did this with everey single reminder email and always switched back because new setting don't work.

0 Likes
Re: help! - new email settings not working with my macbook entourage email
fjk2

Agree 100%;  also tried each time I got their reminder email, each time it failed so I had to undo and set it back to original settings. Very Frustrating 

0 Likes
jed8003

I'm having the same issue--third notice from Verizon to update the email, third time I've tried to, only to switch back to the old settings as the new ones wouldn't work.  Even deleted the account and built it from scratch--and every time, it said that it could connect to the pop server.  I DID get my iPhone to work with the new settings, but just isn't happening with Outlook 2007 on my desktop.  And support is doesn't exist--no email or phone to talk to a human being (not that I can find, anyway).  It's like they're saying, "You HAVE to change your settings, or life as you know it will end.  Of course, if it doesn't work, there's nothing WE can do about it..."

0 Likes
JesseS2
Enthusiast - Level 1

Same here.  I received a notice that this was their third attempt.  The  only setting I need to change on mine is the server names, all other settings are already enabled, and it fails.  with this message.

Unable to send or receive messages for the Verizon (jessestef) account. Windows Live Mail couldn't log on to the email server using authenticated POP (APOP). Contact your email provider and verify that it supports authenticated POP. To change this logon setting, in the folder list, right-click on the account name, and then click Properties on the shortcut menu. In the Properties dialog, click the Servers tab and then under Incoming Mail Server, select a logon option.

Server: 'pop.verizon.net'
Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x80004005
Protocol: POP3
Port: 995
Secure(SSL): Yes

Unable to send or receive messages for the Verizon (jessestef) account. Windows Live Mail couldn't log on to the email server using secure password authentication. Contact your email provider and verify that it supports secure password authentication. To change this logon setting, in the folder list, right-click on the account name, and then click Properties on the shortcut menu. In the Properties dialog, click the Servers tab, and then under Incoming Mail Server, select a logon option.

Server Error: 0x800CCC90
Server Response: -ERR invalid command
Server: 'pop.verizon.net'
Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC18
Protocol: POP3
Port: 995
Secure(SSL): Yes

Now if you follow the path to pick a log on method and select Clear Text as the auth method it works without issue.... BUT who the hell uses Clear Text passwords....  Really Verizon.....  So until its fixed im leaving the incoming and outgoing names....

0 Likes
mmacneal3

I'm not getting anywhere either!

0 Likes
jed8003

I found a number I used in the past--1-800-VERIZON (easy to remember).  Spoke to agent named "Durrell", who looked at my settings from his end.  I watched him put in the same ones I did...and it worked.  Kudos to Durrell, but I have no idea why I couldn't get it to work.  Like I said; I even deleted the account and entered it from scratch.  Could have been a mistype, but more than likely--putting the info in a number of times finally did the trick.  I know that technically, this isn't a solution...but it worked. (so far).

0 Likes
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

@JesseS wrote:

Now if you follow the path to pick a log on method and select Clear Text as the auth method it works without issue.... BUT who the hell uses Clear Text passwords....  Really Verizon.....  So until its fixed im leaving the incoming and outgoing names....

That is exactly what you are doing wrong. The servers encrypt the whole connection (SSL) and require that the password be sent over that connection in clear text. They aren't going to "fix" it - It's functioning as they intend it to.

JesseS2
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm not doing it "wrong", I'm doing it secure.  So IMO that's not good enough.  They should notify people if they are making a "security change"  I have been sending SSL for the longest time now, so why the change to clear text.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@JesseS wrote:

I'm not doing it "wrong", I'm doing it secure.  So IMO that's not good enough.  They should notify people if they are making a "security change"  I have been sending SSL for the longest time now, so why the change to clear text.

true it would be nice if they did it that way, but they chose not to.

The Secure password was introduced in the days were the rest of the email traffic was not encrypted as a way to protect your password.  With SSL used instead for all traffic all traffic including your "clear text" password are encrypted by SSL and not in the clear to users tapping your messages.

0 Likes
biker21
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have the same problem on my IPhone.  The SMPT works OK on my IMAC desktop, but will not change on IPhone.

0 Likes