How to delete email messages on server using Outlook 2007
Katherine001
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have Outlook 2007 set to delete messages from server in the Advanced Email Settings section.  This used to work.  But now I am getting messages from Verizon that I am runnning out of room on the server and I see that thousands of messages that I thought were being deleted are still on the server.

How can I get Outlook to communicate with the server to delete messages?

0 Likes
Re: How to delete email messages on server using Outlook 2007
james_marshall
Contributor - Level 1

Katherine,

There are a couple of "Advanced" settings in Outlook 2007.   If you haven't already tried this, go to:

Tools | Options | Mail Setup tab | click E-Mail Accounts button | select the e-mail account you want to change | click Change . . . (above the list of e-mail accounts) | click More Settings . . . button| select Advanced tab | under Delivery uncheck "Leave a copy of messages on the server

Several Points:

1. If someone has an easier way to get to the Internet E-mail Settings screen, I would love to know it.  The way I described is pretty cumbersome.
  2. I keep mine set to "Leave a copy of message on the server" and "Remove from server after 30 days."  This seems to be working.
  3. If you are running out of room on the server, you can always go on to the server via netmail.verizon.net and delete old mail to free up room. 

I hope this helps.

j_m

0 Likes
Katherine001
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for your reply.  I have checked "Remove from server when deleted from
'Deleted Items'  in the More Settings section. I don't want to delete all the messages on the server after how ever many days. 

There are a few old messages I want to be able to access online.

0 Likes
james_marshall
Contributor - Level 1

In that case, it may be better for you to delete the e-mails you no longer want from the server by logging in through netmail.verizon.net.  Yes, it will be a **bleep** compared to having them be deleted when you delete them in Outlook, but then you can control what's kept and what's not.  And, if you are running out of room, there are probably 10's of thousands of e-mails stored there. 

On the server, there is a tab labeled Settings that allows you to select the Number of messages per page to display.  The choices are 20, 30, 40, 50 and No Limit.  If you choose No Limit, it is slow, but you can go down the list checking and deleteing a lot at one time.

Good luck!

0 Likes