HOW TO DO new vz email account settings with Avast antivirus??
glnzglnz
Contributor - Level 3

In the past two years, VZ and Avast confirmed that I should NOT do my verizon.net email account setting as SSL through the new ports because that would PREVENT my Avast anti-virus from checking the emails and attachments in and out.

Now, I just discovered that VZ recommends new verizon.net account settings with SSL.

But what about the relationship with Avast anti-virus?  WHAT IS THE CORRECT WAY TO DO THE NEW SSL VERIZON.NET EMAIL SETTINGS WITH AVAST ANTI-VIRUS?

Thanks.

0 Likes
Re: HOW TO DO new vz email account settings with Avast antivirus??
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Setup your Verizon Email Account

or you can review the new servers and SSL options at www.verizon.com/emailsettings

These are the Verizon step by step, but they don't include Avast!   -  you will have to reach out to Avast forums to get expert advice about setting up your SSL email in their program.    

glnzglnz
Contributor - Level 3

Hubrisnxs:  May I ask why you Replied?  It's completely obvious I can do the settings as Vz suggests.  It is also completely obvious from my post that we're in a different world due to the connection with Avast.  So let me ask again -

How does one do the new SSL verizon email settings with Avast Antivirus so that Avast can still check all incoming and outgoing emails?

0 Likes
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

@Hubrisnxs wrote:

Setup your Verizon Email Account

or you can review the new servers and SSL options at www.verizon.com/emailsettings

These are the Verizon step by step, but they don't include Avast!   -  you will have to reach out to Avast forums to get expert advice about setting up your SSL email in their program.    

Seems pretty straight forward to me. You need to configure AVAST, so you should probably be looking for help on an AVAST board.

Good luck!

Hubrisnxs
Legend

It seemed like you were posting in the wrong place, and I wanted to make sure that you didn't go days and days waiting for someone to help you with something that they likely can't.

So I figured, I would share the VZ info and help steer you in the right direction.

You may even want to call them.

Free 24x7 Phone Support Call: +1 866 951 7679

Free 24x7 telephone support for installation, configuration, and trouble-shooting is now available for your avast! product. Call toll-free from the US. More details >>

Request Support

Submit a support-request ticket and benefit from better tracking and more language options.

Submit a ticket

Visit User Forum

Ask (or answer) questions of hundreds of other avast! users online.

avast! Forum
0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

Folks, this is a very rational question if you use Avast and want your emails inspected by Avast for viruses, etc. I use Avast and have it do that, works well.

With the new server names, here is what I have set up:

In my email client (Windows Live Mail):

In Avast Mail Shield:

Using these setting, sent emails are unencrypted when sent by the email client, are scanned by Avast, then encrypted before sending. Received emails are decrypted by Avast and scanned before being passed to the email client.

I think some other anti-virus programs offer similar function.

If you have the email client do the encryption/decryption, Avast cannot scan the emails.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
glnzglnz
Contributor - Level 3

Justin - thanks for the informative post.

Tried it but hit new problem - my Outlook Express immediately tried to re-download 1,500 emails.  Stopped it and went back to incoming.verizon.net and outgoing.verizon.net.

This is exactly the type of thing that Vz simply never checks.  It's as if the Verizon techs are all on a switchboard with 1940s style plugs.  (Ever see the movie "Brazil"?)  Another bad show.

(Also, once again, it is difficult to log onto this forum from Firefox with NoScript.  I have to permit an XSS "unsafe reload".  Never have to do this with ANY other forum with Firefox + NoScript.  Only Verizon's forums.)

In your post, I think the very last line in Avast isn't "POP3" but "SMTP".  It's been that way on my Avast for about a year and a half.

Thanks.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@glnz wrote:

Justin - thanks for the informative post.

Tried it but hit new problem - my Outlook Express immediately tried to re-download 1,500 emails.  Stopped it and went back to incoming.verizon.net and outgoing.verizon.net.

This is exactly the type of thing that Vz simply never checks.  It's as if the Verizon techs are all on a switchboard with 1940s style plugs.  (Ever see the movie "Brazil"?)  Another bad show.

(Also, once again, it is difficult to log onto this forum from Firefox with NoScript.  I have to permit an XSS "unsafe reload".  Never have to do this with ANY other forum with Firefox + NoScript.  Only Verizon's forums.)

In your post, I think the very last line in Avast isn't "POP3" but "SMTP".  It's been that way on my Avast for about a year and a half.

Thanks.

Yeah, I think I accidentally changed the setting, thanks for noticing it, have set it back to SMTP.

Outlook Express huh? Wow, haven't used that for a long, long time, we are all Windows 7 here. Where in the world would the Verizon email server come up with 1500 messages? I don't doubt you, but that make no sense to me. You don't keep them all in your inbox on the server do you? I have my PC emal client delete the messages when it downloads them, keeps everything clean (I have my phone just leave them on the server).

By the way, switching to the new servers improved email send/receive performance a whole lot for me, so if you can figure out why it was downloading all those messages and fix it, I think you too will see an improvement once you switch.

You have complained about NoScript in the past I think. And my response at that time was that I found NoScript to be totally obtrusive and unusable, and I still feel that way. I do understand what it does, I just can't stand what it does. Smiley Very Happy

Question: it has been so long since I used NoScript, I don't remember the settings, does it not have any option to not run on a specific site? I use HTTPS Everywhere for example, and it causes problems with Verizon sites, but it has an option to disable it for any specific site so I can use the tool for most sites and still access the Verizon sites successfully.

Anyway, glad you found the info helpful. And again, thanks for pointing out the error in my setting.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes