Re: IMAP settings?
CherzArt

Including Verizon, I use 6 accounts in Apple Mail. Every other account uses iMap. Verizon is so behind in this, I also hate having constantly to remove same spam over and over on the iPad and iPhone like someone already mentioned .

I will take Verizon off my Apple Mail and tell my friends to use another account.

In fact, I will probably change to another provider for internet and land line!

Smiley Mad       Woman Mad             Cat Sad             Robot Mad

0 Likes
bobbyi07004

Verizon email does not work with Microsoft Windows 8 because it does not have an IMAP or Exchange option.  Verizon's answer that anyone can access email through the website is off base..  Without being able to set up a normal email account, I can't forward items saved on my computer through the built in email serv ice in windows.... who cares about the verizon web email site.... it is not a good site and is slow to respond.

This shortfall witl force me to change my personal email account.  When I do, I willl also switch over my internet serfvice, phone service and TV service to a provider that is up to speed.  Smart move Verizon!!

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Verizon email does not support IMAP.  It doesn't work with the default eMail app in Windows 8/8.1.  Other apps including Microsoft Live Mail and Mozilla Thunderbird work on Windows 8/8.1 and do work with Verizon Email.

For POP3, last I saw statistics, there were as many users of pop3 as Imap.  The drastic increase of the popularity has more to do with mobile devices (phones/tablets).  But there are negatives to do with IMAP for use when you cannot access the Internet.

0 Likes
wkearney991
Enthusiast - Level 2

What "negatives" of using IMAP when offline?

Most clients support having a local store for messages, just as they would for POP3.  The difference is, with IMAP you're not stuck with ONLY your local POP3 storage.  The messages remain safely available on the IMAP server, regardless of client you're using to read them.  

Yes, IMAP requires that the server have sufficient storage to hold all the mail.  Shame Verizon hasn't gotten their act together and stepped up to the same levels of service offered by, well, EVERY other provider.  

That they STILL don't offer IMAP, at all, is ridiculous.

tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Most people using smartphones do think to download all their email.  They count on IMAP and constant access. 

Alan9949

There is a generic app I downloaded that uses pop. It's called anymail. Works great

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

By the way, IMAP is coming soon. 

Verizon, having bought AOL, has decided to move us all to AOL MAIL which does have IMAP.  They are starting with those who are moving to FRONTIER (California, Florida, and Texas) probably to forstall the massive compaints users would otherwise make when they lose all their mail going to a Frontier userid.

Kestrel3
Contributor - Level 2

Yes AOL has IMAP, but it is interesting that Verizon says that no settings will need to be changed for mail client programs, and in the list of added benefits of moving to AOL, nothing is mentioned about IMAP or being able to sync mail between devices.

rick123451

Vz does not care about their customers until they start loosing them.  As much as I hate POP I might be able to live with it if VZ had more than a 2 cent spam filter that was.  I get blasted every day about the same time by the same spam.  I mark it as spam but 2/3 still goes through. When I'm using my iPhone I want to check my e-mails quickly buy I can't because of all of the spam.  double shame on Vz

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes