Re: Important Changes to Email POP/SMTP
Hmeek
You go to settings--mail and select your verizon email account, and drill down thru the variious settings, but my advice is don't do it. See my post here: http://forums.verizon.com/t5/Verizon-net-Email/Changing-mail-server-settings-per-Verizon-s-request-c...
For what happened to my iPhone and iPad. ( incoming & sending worked fine but I lost my entire sent mail folder.)
0 Likes
JiminLR

I thought Ihad finally found directions but  when I clicked on the link I got

An Unexpected Error has occurred.
  • Sorry, your request failed. A notification has been sent to the development team for investigation.

Exception ID: 59E056EA

Please click the Back button on your browser.

Now what?

Jim

0 Likes
furry
Enthusiast - Level 3

I received the infamous email Thursday, March 21st.  I successfully updated the settings for several of my verizon.net email addresses in Microsoft Outlook on my PC.

The email stated ...or via hand held devices.  I therefore attempted to update the settings on my Droid RAZR MAXX mobile phone.  The new Incoming settings were accepted.  However, the Outgoing settings were not.  I spent about 45 minutes with Verizon Wireless Level 2 Tech Support trying to resolve the issue.

The original Outgoing settings were SMTP server outgoing.verizon.net, Security type None, Port 587.

I attempted to change those settings to SMTP server smtp.verizon.net, Security type SSL, Port 465.  I received the message Couldn't finish.  Authentication not supported.

I then changed the Security type to None.  That automatically changed the Port to 587.  I received the message Couldn't finish. Can't connect to server.

I then changed the SMTP server back to outgoing.verizon.net, Security type to SSL and the Port to 465.

That was accepted.  I sent and received emails with those settings even though they were contrary to the Verizon email instructions.

Level 2 Tech support suggested that I leave the settings that way until or unless I no longer am able to send or receive emails on my cellphone.

Verizon had better get their act together, since the the landline and wireless divisions don't seem to be communicating with each other.

0 Likes
mmodrall
Enthusiast - Level 2

Like everybody else, I got the notice.

I changed my Mac Mail program settings and found the following:

1) With Mac Mail diagnostics, it says I can connect and authenticate to both pop and smtp using ssl.

2) I can send emails out through smtp.

3) Even though I can connect, pop never gives me any messages - even when I know there are some to get.  I switch back to incoming, and the messages come down fine.

From this thread, it still doesn't sound like a good idea to change, as things aren't really working yet.

0 Likes
lilhighway
Enthusiast - Level 3

Justin,

what is the purpose for the email changes?

lilhighway
Enthusiast - Level 3

Justin,

there is good reason not to believe emails that come from verizon due to spoofing and spam issues verizon is facing.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@lilhighway wrote:

Justin,

what is the purpose for the email changes?

I have no way to know for sure, but my guess is that hopefully Verizon is getting ready to implement IMAP for their email. If that is the reason, I suspect it is just easier for them to do it using a separate server interface than trying to convert the existing setup overnight. But again that is just a guess.

And of course I could be totally wrong..... Smiley Very Happy

Keller, TX 76248

Justin46
Legend

@lilhighway wrote:

Justin,

there is good reason not to believe emails that come from verizon due to spoofing and spam issues verizon is facing.

You are certainly correct, Verizon and probably most other large companies are constantly having to deal with phishing issues, and SPAM. But in the case of the specific email regarding changing the email settings, Verizon has provided a specific post on their website regarding the change:

https://my.verizon.com/central/vzc.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=vzc_help_announcement&id=email_13_01...

So that makes it easy to verify that this specific issue is valid. But any time any of us get an email telling us to change something like email server settings, we should always try to verify the information before making the change.

Keller, TX 76248

kchen2
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have a different spin this new awful change.  I have a verizon.net email address but import to Outlook on my computer and iPhone.  Recently I purchased an iPad and set up iCloud.  (All to say, no backups from iPhone... not that I'd back up email there anyway since I have Outlook.)  I changed the settings on my iPhone and iPad as instructed (POP & SMTP) and it erased ALL of my old emails!  All I have now are the 100 most recent emails that my verizon.net email account keeps on line!  I couldn't believe it!!

As you know, Apple isn't great with saving documents/attachments, so I kept them associated with their emails.  All of which are now GONE.  =o(  Going back for years.

Is there possibly any way to recover my emails??  I'm freaked out about changing the settings on my  home computer.  What if it does the same thing.  Then everything is gone.   Help, anyone? 

0 Likes