Re: initiate migration to AOL Mail?
weincsw
Enthusiast - Level 3

Got my notice today: 27 Mar 2017.  Gave me 30 days to complete.  No real problems.  I have two email accounts.  Be sure to enter a NEW password when requested.  Had to only enter the new password on my five devices to get AOL email working on them.  I use MS Outlook as my Email interface on my two computers, iPad, and two iPhones.  Outlook requested the new password.  iPad and iPhones sent me to Settings to enter new password.  Be sure to update password on Incoming and Outgouing Servers.  Don't worry about those odd alpha-numeric email addresses they assigned when you originally set up your email accounts.  You probably got the notice addressed to them.  When you go to the AOL sign-on page they have both your common email address and the odd alpha-numeric ones.

0 Likes
Re: initiate migration to AOL Mail and billing question?
cruiserad
Enthusiast - Level 1

why is verizon thowing my business over to AOL? Will I receive a reduction in m monthly billing?

0 Likes
james_marshall
Contributor - Level 1

@rpfix wrote:

James_Marshall,

Those links don't work for me. The first 2 send me to my email, with no redirection, the 3rd is not what I want.

I need instructions for staying with my POP3 program, Mozilla Thunderbird, and my 3 existing Verizon addresses.

rpfix,

I needed to pull out an old laptop that had my verizon.net account in Thunderbird this morning, so I tried seting it up.  I've got an old version (17.0.2).

I went to Tools|Options|Security|Passwords Tab and clicked Saved Passwords.  I Clicked Remove All (After taking a screen shot!).

Then went to Tools|Account Settings and set up the account again.  As I recall, it took only a few steps, with Thunderbird doing most of the works.  I had to type in my name, e-mail address and a password and it did all the rest.   Maybe I was just lucky, but it went smoothly and I'm now using it through mailbox://pop/verizon.net and smtp://smtp.verizon.net.

As to the links I posted, I'm sorry they don't work for you.  In my wife's account - which hasn't been migrated yet - if I log in to netmail.verizon.net under her account, it takes me to a page with an Email Service Notice, a brief explanation of the options and the process and links to either "keep my verizon.net address" which takes me to the pages where you enter your information for AOL or another link that takes me to a page that lets me select other providers, export contacts, etc.

I hope some of this helps . . .

j_m

0 Likes
granpattie

So is this being done in groups?  I hadn't heard anything about it and a friend of mine has been notified.  I don't want to miss my opportunity for them to move my acct.

Thanks.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@cruiserad wrote:

why is verizon thowing my business over to AOL? Will I receive a reduction in m monthly billing?

AOL is a Verizon Company.

And you never were specifically paying for Email.  It was a free to customer offering.  And for AOL it is a free for everyone service.

0 Likes
JUNEBUG19607

Good luck. I chose migrate to AOL and keep my verizon email name. Although I can signin AOL online and send and receive my email, the Mail application on my iMac and iPads do not accept either the "old" password nor the "new" password. I have spent hours on the phone sharing my screen with first the Verizon tech, then the Apple tech to then be referred to AOL. When I accessed the AOL page they referred me BACK TO VERIZON. Verizon then, transferred me back to AOL tech. The AOL tech then informed me that inorder to get AOL tech support I would need to get a paid subscription to AOL because the AOL account offered for the migration does NOT INCLUDE tech support. 

0 Likes
Debit

Has anyone been succesfull in getting to their email account, using an IPAD or IMAC , after migrating to AOL?. I don't want to attempt the migration until I have some level of comfort. Junebug, apparently has had issues.

0 Likes
weincsw
Enthusiast - Level 3

I had no problem. I have two iPhones, an iPad, and two PCs (Dell & Lenovo).   Migration worked well on all. I do use MS Outlook as my email application on PCs. And the regular email on the Apple products.  After the migration all devices asked for new password when trying to access email.   Outlook displayed a window asking for password.  Apple products directed me to Settings to update passwords.  Be sure to change BOTH Outgoing and Incoming servers.  Hope this helps.  

0 Likes
SeaWolf2

Unfortunately, I despise AOL. Don't appreciate getting shoved off to there. With Verizons poor service recently and what appears to be an ongoing issue with my internet service being throttled back under what it should be and what I am paying for... cable is looking a lot better. Really sorry that you decided to make this decision.

0 Likes
weincsw
Enthusiast - Level 3

Also, though I don't normally use Webmail, the AOL application works fine. 

0 Likes