Is anyone else getting a "554 too many recipients" when sending to groups?
BobSisson

I am trying to work from home, and a current project has a large number of people that need to stay informed.  When I try to do a "reply all" to the group I get a "554 Too many recipients" error message back really quickly.  Seems I can only send to 49 people at once...needless to say this casues problems as the group (so far) is 74 people...

Anyone got a work arround other that splitting up the group into two messages (what a pain)

Supposedly the WebMail interface will let me send to 100 at once, but I can't cut-n-paste the addresses from Outlook to Webmail without some MAJOR editing.

Suggestions PLEASE

0 Likes
Re: Is anyone else getting a "554 too many recipients" when sending to groups?
Karl_VZ
Contributor - Level 1

Hey Bob -- You are correct that there is a limit to how many outgoing recipients an email can be sent to, but it is 100 unique addresses.  It sounds like you may be having an issue with your Outlook program; possibly the way your address book is configured if you have more than one address saved for each person you're trying to send the message to.  The address book would be a good place to check first and then looking into troubleshooting the Outlook program would be your next step.  Thanks!

0 Likes
Re: Is anyone else getting a "554 too many recipients" when sending to groups?
BobSisson

I have split the destination list into 2 smaller groups and they both went fine, so I know all the addresses are OK.  I can send to 49 fine.  When I try to send to 51 or more I instantly get back the message.

Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Subject:    Yet another test message (sorry)

Sent: 11/16/2011 5:51 PM

The following recipient(s) cannot be reached:

'{edited for privacy}' on 11/16/2011 5:51 PM

554 Too many recipients (74)

and then it goes on to list all (74) addresses.

A google search turns up lots of people having the same problem with their ISP's limiting at some point.  I was told it is SUPPOSED to be 100, but no one can figure out why I am getting blocked at 50.  Outlook does not block and is happy to do many more than that...

0 Likes