Leaving Verizon in 30 days unless amount SPAM decreases
ehatcher
Enthusiast - Level 1

Getting entirely too much SPAM.

Marking messages as SPAM has no effect. The address blocking does not function. In either case I continue to get SPAM with the exact same subject from the exact same address.

The helpdesk is literally a waste of time - they recomended using the "unsubscribe" on SPAM emails (you have got to be kidding!)

It would be easier to keep my current account, but I don't really have time to sort through all the junk anymore.

Yes, I know that setting up SPAM filters is tricky, but seriously a SPAM should be kinda easy to intercept.

As the thread title says, I am closing my accoubnt and moving to another provider in 30 days unless the amount of SPAM I get is greatly reduced.

Re: Leaving Verizon in 30 days unless amount SPAM decreases
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Welcome to the forums.  You're talking to other customers here.  If you want a response from Verizon you should call or chat with them.  Verizon won't be making any changes to the their SPAM filters as a result of any posting here.

Verizon's SPAM filters aren't very good.  This is one of many reasons why I don't use Verizon email.  I like to use an email address that isn't connected to my ISP so that if I ever switch ISPs, email isn't a concern.

gmail has excellent SPAM filters.  You can even configure it to process Verizon email.  If you want help setting it up, post back.

Good Luck.

aat78

Hi gs0b,

Although, I am not the OP, I also struggle with the amount of SPAM I receive on a daily basis.  Per your suggestion, I will be switching over to gmail.  Would you be so kind as to post how to configure so it will process Verizon email?

Thank you.

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

@aat78 wrote:
Would you be so kind as to post how to configure so it will process Verizon email?

Sure.

1. Login to gmail's web interface, if you haven't already.
  2. Click on the "gear" icon near the upper right and select "settings."
  3. Click on the "account and settings" tab near the center top, just below the search box.
  4. Look for "Add a POP3 mail account you own" and click on it.
  5. Enter <username>@verizon.net.  Click next.
  6. Enter your password.
  7. If you aren't using Verizon's Yahoo based mail, change the POP Server to "pop.verizon.net".
  8. Click "Add Account."

If you intend to access your email directly from Verizon on other devices, check the "leave messages on server option."  Otherwise, gmail will move all messages into your gmail inbox and delete them from Verizon.  No, you cannot easily sync mailboxes with Verizon as POP makes it impossible.

There are more settings and options that can be tweaked.  For example, you can send mail through your Verizon account using gmail.  Google's help system can provide more details.

Enjoy!

thequixta
Enthusiast - Level 3

I understand you are customer; but your answer fits into the Verizon caned answers. This answer is not a solution but just another workaround. I don't pay Verizon for workarounds; I pay for solutions. Thanks anyway, but other providers do not need workarounds they offer solutions!

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

@thequixta wrote:

I understand you are customer; but your answer fits into the Verizon caned answers. This answer is not a solution but just another workaround. I don't pay Verizon for workarounds; I pay for solutions. Thanks anyway, but other providers do not need workarounds they offer solutions!

You're funny.  I said that Verizon's spam filters aren't very good. I doubt you'll hear such an statement from Verizon.  I doubt they'll tell you to use gmail.

As a customer, I've no way to change Verizon's spam filters.  All I can do is offer ideas on how we customers can deal with the services Verizon provides, good or bad.  If you consider that a "canned" answer, then tell me what you'd like to hear from other customers.  Keep in mind that none of us have any power to change Verizon's services.

I've said it before and I"ll say it again.  If you want an official answer from Verizon you need to contact them through phone, chat or even snail mail.  Maybe Twitter.

If you like the services that another provider offers more than Verizon, then by all means switch.  That is the strongest message anyone can send Verizon.

Enjoy.

thequixta
Enthusiast - Level 3

How is it you were chosen to moderate? You missed the point again. Obviously nobody posted here looking for a solution. They are looking to vent; while making prospective customers, who are smart enough to browse these boards, aware of a broken product.

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

I don't moderate.  You can post whatever you want, for all I care.

Verizon, however, does have moderators who keep an eye on the forums and keep things polite and remove/edit any comments that doesn't fit within *their* rules for these forums.  These are Verizon forums and we have to play by their rules, plain and simple.

There are lots of people who come to these forums looking for help and they get it from other users.  Just look around and you'll find many examples.

There are also people who come here expecting to send a message to Verizon. Verizon doesn't respond to issues publicly and only escalates a specific type of issue to their support team.  The OP's request to fix their spam filters or else isn't something that Verizon will answer.  I know this because I've been around these forums long enough to get a sense of what Verizon cares about.

When people post here expecting to get a response from Verizon or a fix to an issue, I feel it's important to let them know what they can expect.  Verizon doesn't do as good a job as I'd like about setting expectations on these forums, so it's helpful to let people know that their messages to Verizon will most likely go unheard.

As to why I'm a "community leader," Verizon chose to give me and a few other people this title as we have been regular participants who help move discussions foward in a positive direction.  I have no special access rights nor do I know anything about Verizon other than what is publicly available.

You too could become a community leader one day, just stick around and post helpful comments while respecting the fact that this is Verizon's sandbox.

Enjoy.

misterbill99
Contributor - Level 1

What sort of spam are you getting? I am not here to defend Verizon, but I find that I get very little spam in my inbox and in fact my bigger problem is that many pieces of valid email end up in the spam folder.

0 Likes