Re: Thunderbird SSL Account Definitions - Check For Updated Information
Katz
Enthusiast - Level 2

@armond_in_nj wrote:

I just checked the other messages in this thread and find no other posts authored by you.  If you're suggesting that I should read all the posts you've authored in the past before responding to a particular post in a particular thread, then I'm afraid I will not be able to accommodate your wishes.  In any case, best regards and good luck with your issue.

My error. I had been posting at the Mozillazine forum before this one.

I have the Windows Firewall, which blocks only incoming signals, and my problem  is with outgoing mail. Tbird /  FF are not listed on the exceptions page. On Outlook Express, my control,  both in and out are not possible.

0 Likes
Katz
Enthusiast - Level 2

I can receive mail only through the old port110, not 995.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@Katz wrote:

I can receive mail only through the old port110, not 995.

Then you have something defined incorrectly. Thunderbird works just fine with port 995 for a POP definition, I just tested again to verify that.

Here are my POP settings:

If the above doesn't help, why don't you provide your definitions and maybe we can see what is wrong.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
Katz
Enthusiast - Level 2

No, that's exactly what I have now on all 3 computers. Yours works fine, but that's not so with all users. It's weird, but I've seen the same problem with some users on Mozillazine too.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@Katz wrote:

No, that's exactly what I have now on all 3 computers. Yours works fine, but that's not so with all users. It's weird, but I've seen the same problem with some users on Mozillazine too.

Since you don't seem willing to provide your settings, I don't think there is anything anybody here can do to help you. All I can say is yes, it does work, and I think you have something wrong - it could be in your TB settings, a TB add-on, maybe your firewall or anti-virus, I don't know. But Verizon's email servers do work with the new server names and SSL.

Edit: I just realized in one of your earlier posts you mentioned Outlook Express; I don't use that since I am on Windows 7 only, but I do use Windows Live Mail, which is very similar, I have 3 Verizon email accounts defined there with the new settings, and everything works just fine there too.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
onabeach
Enthusiast - Level 1

If you are having trouble with Thunderbird or other "unsupported" email programs, check to see whether ports 995 and 465 are being blocked by your modem/router firewall. I imagine that quite a few older Westell DSL modems/routers are still in service, and their firewall blocks these ports

If the ports are blocked, you can either turn off the firewall or open the ports using port forwarding. Verizon tech support people are clueless on this one. I fooled with Thunderbird for an hour before it hit me to check to see if the ports were open.

0 Likes
Katz
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've already tried it with MSSE and the firewall turned off. Firewall's not set to block Tbird, which I've used successfully with Vz for about 8 years. And the Win firewall wouldn't be blocking outgoing emails anyway..

0 Likes
Katz
Enthusiast - Level 2

I was not unwilling. I said they were the same a yours. I've been using Tbird about 10 years and never had this issue.

And I use OE only as a control when email is wonky.

imageyours.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

Katz,

Unfortunately I appear to be completely out of ideas. Smiley Mad I don't understand why yours won't work and mine does. I have gone back and re-read this entire thread multiple times, you appear to have tried everything I and others have suggested. I still feel it is something at your end, but for the life of me I cannot see what it might be (and I freely admit I am no expert on Thunderbird).

Hopefully someone else will chime in here and come up with the solution.

Sorry I haven't been able to help.....but if you do find a fix, please come back and tell us what it is, that could certainly help others, and I really would like to know what the solution is.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

@Katz wrote:

I was not unwilling. I said they were the same a yours. I've been using Tbird about 10 years and never had this issue.

And I use OE only as a control when email is wonky.

<settings image removed>

I notice that earlier in the thread, you posted that you are having trouble sending messages through TBird. Could we possibly get a look at your outgoing settings? If inbound is working, there's nothing to fix there.