Need help with Outbound Port 25 FiOS blocking port
eaglesfan902

Hello all, hope you can help me.

I have been troubleshooting my email/web server that I host out of my house with FiOS.  The webserver can host content no problem, but everything system log I can find for mail is saying that whenver I try to send mail outbound on port 25, I get connection timed out or refuesd.  I have ruled out the router as I managed to disable ALL security and the fire wall and still the traffic is blocked.  I have isolated it to the service I'm getting straight from Verizon because if I hook up my mobile hotspot to my mail server, email works like a dream.  This obviously isn't a long term solution so I would love to know who I can contact at Verizon without getting the Service Desk runaround from them OR if anyone has a viable workaround that they used successfully.  Please let me know!

Tags (3)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Need help with Outbound Port 25 FiOS blocking port
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Post 465 and 587 are standard, secure ports for SMPT. Port 25 is insecure, which is why it is frequently blocked.  Port 587 with TLS is the recommend port for most uses today.  There is lots of info online about configuring mail servers and clients.  If you’re setting up your own mail server, you need to know this stuff to reduce the chance of hackage.

Good Luck.

View solution in original post

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

I'm pretty sure Verizon blocks port 25 as it's horribly insecure.  I doubt Verizon will unblock port 25 on a residential account.  Use another port; any decent mail server should support the secure ports.

Good Luck.

eaglesfan902

I mean, I can do any port I want, but any outgoing request uses Port 25... so if I want to reach out to gmail for example, how can I do that other than port 25?

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Post 465 and 587 are standard, secure ports for SMPT. Port 25 is insecure, which is why it is frequently blocked.  Port 587 with TLS is the recommend port for most uses today.  There is lots of info online about configuring mail servers and clients.  If you’re setting up your own mail server, you need to know this stuff to reduce the chance of hackage.

Good Luck.