New Email Account Settings Do Not Work
Dan_Schumacher
Enthusiast - Level 3

Received the email about changing email account settings.  Made the changes in Outlook 2010 (deleting the Yahoo part of the server names and changing the ports) as shown on the help page, but they don't work.  I keep getting an error message that the server would not accept my authentication.  What is going on?

Regards, Dan

0 Likes
Re: New Email Account Settings Do Not Work
Justin46
Legend

@Dan_S wrote:

Received the email about changing email account settings.  Made the changes in Outlook 2010 (deleting the Yahoo part of the server names and changing the ports) as shown on the help page, but they don't work.  I keep getting an error message that the server would not accept my authentication.  What is going on?

Regards, Dan

Why did you remove the Yahoo part? It is my understanding that if you originally chose the Yahoo option for your Verizon email you must continue to use it unless you specifically take action to transfer your email account from Yahoo to the native Verizon servers. I am not at all surprised you get an authentication error, I think the Verizon servers are not aware of your Yahoo login name and password.

In fact, now that I think about it, I am not even sure that the change applies to an email account using Yahoo, you really need to check with Yahoo (web or phone I guess) to see what settings you should use for access via their email servers. Since I do not use the Yahoo option I have no way to verify what the settings should be for that. But for normal verizon.net email, SSL has worked just fine for me for many months.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
Dan_Schumacher
Enthusiast - Level 3

Justin,

I made the changes described on the web page based on the fact that the email explicitly said the changes were for my Verizon Yahoo Email Account.

I ran one of the Yahoo repair utilities and it restored my email to a working condition.

Right now I don't intend to make any changes until Verizon gets this sorted out.

Regards, Dan

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@Dan_S wrote:

Justin,

I made the changes described on the web page based on the fact that the email explicitly said the changes were for my Verizon Yahoo Email Account.

I ran one of the Yahoo repair utilities and it restored my email to a working condition.

Right now I don't intend to make any changes until Verizon gets this sorted out.

Regards, Dan

OK.

Since I don't have Verizon Yahoo email, just Verizon email, I have no way to verify anything related to Yahoo. But I really don't understand how, if you are a Verizon Yahoo email user, removing Yahoo is going to work, because it seems to me that puts you on the normal Verizon-only servers, and you won't be known there.

I can assure you however, that on the normal Verizon mail servers SSL works just fine on both email clients I have tried it with. I have been using SSL for quite a few months on the Verizon servers.

Good luck.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
Collielover96
Enthusiast - Level 2

The changes did not work for me either with Outlook 2007.  There are a lot of other issues lately also - too many to mention.  Everything worked just fine for over a year until about a month ago and I did not change any settings on my computer

0 Likes
Collielover96
Enthusiast - Level 2

I spoke too soon. It is working. I went to SUPPORT> TECHNICAL SUPPORT> FIOS INTERNET>EMAIL SETUP.  Then you can select OUTLOOK and then on screen guide will take you through it.  It is for new set up but you can go to account settings in OUTLOOK and select change instead of new>more settings>advanced and then enter what they show on the last couple pages of the guide.

0 Likes
LoriMcl

does anyone know anything about using Windows Live 2011??? i have tried these new settings and the signon box just keeps popping up, have tried resetting password, it is all messed up, nothing is working. i'm very frustrated now.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@LoriMcl wrote:

does anyone know anything about using Windows Live 2011??? i have tried these new settings and the signon box just keeps popping up, have tried resetting password, it is all messed up, nothing is working. i'm very frustrated now.

Are you using email at verizon.net or verizon.yahoo.net? I have been using Windows Live Mail 2011 with the SSL settings just fine for many months now, but I use verizon.net. If you are using verizon.net, I would be happy to post my settings, but I can't help with verizon.yahoo.net as I do not have an account.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
spigmu
Enthusiast - Level 3

I know my way around server ports well and I can confirm that the new settings do NOT work for me.   (Verizon DSL users in my area, were given the option of a Yahoo Verizon or Yahoo Hotmail email account.  No such animal for us as a Verizon email that is neither.)

I've been around this pole a hundred times (since the email says to change them to the new settings) and I can only conclude that one should ignore their advice to yahoo.verizon users to change settings.   Stick with the old ones.   In fact, the Yahoo help page still lists the old settings as correct for Yahoo Verizon users and they are the ones that work for me.  The new ones don't, at least for NYC DSL Verizon users.

0 Likes
AlexNelson
Using Verizon mail on iPad. Problem is on the iPad you cannot change the outgoing mail settings with its mail client. Will I have to make changes to this mail client as well.
I tried changing the incoming mail settings but I could not receive mail.

Changes just does not work
0 Likes