New Email Format
PearlOne
Enthusiast - Level 1

Rather than an idea, this is a plea for help because I was unable to find another place through Online Support to make a complaint.

The changes recently made to the email format (around 1/20/2011) for how to select email contacts when trying to send a message are HORRIBLE.  You can no longer select the email address from a list that contains the contact's actual name.  As I'm sure you are aware, many people don't use their actual names in their email addresses.  They use any combination of initials, numbers, and sometimes names that mean nothing to anyone but themselves.  In 2011, we all have hundreds of email contacts, and just like phone numbers, we don't keep them in our heads, but select them from directories that we pay for through our service contracts.  Since the changes were made, the list to select email addresses is just all mushed together with the email addresses running from one line to the other.  You can’t even see the entire address.  PLEASE go back to giving us a list that contains the person's actual names so we will be able to select contacts.  I am a triple-play customer who also has wireless service, but if some changes aren’t made, I will have to change to another provider.   I will have to cancel it all because since 1/20/2011 (the past 4 days) I have been unable to send several emails because I don’t know people’s email addresses;  I need to see their name beside it.  Today, we all use email, texting, etc. to contact our friends and colleagues.  I’m sure I can’t be the only person who dislikes this or who has complained.  And, it’s not merely a matter of disliking the new way, it is unusable; Verizon is causing me to lose communication with my contacts. Whoever made the decision to change the selection of email addresses to this new way is a terrible designer and, at the very least, should be reprimanded.  AND, I hate the way these severe changes are always made to the email access without any warning or instructions on what the changes have been or how to use them.   Please provide a more user-friendly environment.

Labels (1)
Re: New Email Format
jimandmary26181
Enthusiast - Level 1

I too find the new format for email impossibly difficult because of the panes that clutter the screen and remain too small to read all the message! 

What can be done to return to the previous format for email?

PLEASE FIX THIS MESSY EMAIL FORMAT OR I WILL MOVE IT ALL TO YAHOO!

ARE YOU LISTENING TO YOUR TRIPLE PLAY CUSTOMER?

Verizon or anyone PLEASE HELP!!!

JOHNNYRUDDER
Enthusiast - Level 1

IF VERIZON CAN NOT TAKE MY EMAIL BACK TO WHAT I WAS USING BEFORE, I AM READY TO CLOSE OUT THIS ACCOUNT TODAY--WHO DO I TALK TO & GET BACK WHAT I HAD--OR WHO DO I TALK TO & CLOSE OUR ACCOUNT? 

suebee5
Enthusiast - Level 1

Absolutely hate this new format. IT IS SOOOOO SLOW. Area to read messages is too small, contact list is terrible, have to switch screens to log out, and the list goes on and on. HOW DO I CHANGE BACK TO WHAT I HAD???? OR WILL I HAVE TO SWITCH TO ANOTHER SERVER?

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader
RichardGene

The only work around is to open a second window and go to side baraddress book and select > All > arrange Recipients List next to All Contacts and cross reference.

Richard

0 Likes
glenns2008
Enthusiast - Level 2

Sorry for the length of this, but I really needed to vent!

I have used many different email services and each had it's pros and cons, but I have never been so drastically frustrated with any of them to leave on the spot.  And I urge everyone else that is threatening to do so to follow through. If it's that bad that they'll lose thousands of customers because of it, they'll have to do something about it.

I was just forced over to the new format today and I absolutely DESPISE it.  I say forced because before, each time the annoying "Check out our new message center" window would pop up upon logging in, you had the option tochoose "No thanks" or "Remind me later" and quickly get rid of the **bleep** thing.  Now today I logged on to find those options were no longer there - now it's just "Welcome to our new message center" or simply not be able to access my email - believe me, I did it as a last resort after trying to get into my email some other way - along with "Once you do, you will not be able to switch back, but you won't want to."  Well, I do - I REALLY REALLY do.  And apparently from what I'm reading, so do a whole lot of other people.

The only reason I can think of for them to change to such an aggravating format is that it's more cost-efficient for them somehow - maybe something to do with bandwidth or something like that - I don't know much about these kinds of things.  Because someone would have to be completely out of touch with reality to think this is a more convenient format.  It takes an infinitely longer time for me to get thorough me email now.  I used to just quickly scan done the page - using my eyes that is, not scrolling - and choose what needed the most attention and what could wait - if something was urgent, I could hone right in on that one. 

Now, with that **bleep** little window that shows just one or two at a time, I can't do that .  And if someone were to say, "well, scroll quickly," you can't even do that, because you can't even see the whole subject line without placing the cursor over it!  So it's scroll to next one, move your cursor over it to see what it is, move your cursor back and scroll to the next one, move your curser back to the subject line to expand it - can you imagine what it must be like to have to do that with hundreds of emails?!!  What could there web designers possibly have been thinking?  And to not have a "Return to Classic" option?!!

The only way there going to keep from losing customers over this is if more people threaten to leave - and MEAN IT! 

glenns2008
Enthusiast - Level 2

*their and they're that is, respectively (it's amazing what anger can do to one's grammar!)

I think one of those bleeps was for the word "**bleep**" - well, I guess I'll find out right now.

0 Likes
glenns2008
Enthusiast - Level 2

They did - they actually bleeped out the word stoopid (replace oo with u).  How draconian is it that I can't use that word?!  Orwell wasn't kidding!

0 Likes
DiRonD
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have to agree with most of the opinions mentioned here. The new email format is absolutely more cumbersome to use, not very practical, and doesn't perform as well as the old version. It also looks ugly and confusing.  All the teeny-tiny window areas in which to view anything is horrible. I tried changing my Settings in my Mail area, however, after half an hour on three  separate occasions, of trying to 'SAVE' my settings, I gave up. I cannot change my email settings to a "Classic View". Just doesn't work.

My husband and I were thinking of going FIOS but after viewing and trying to use this new email design, we are having second thoughts.  Optonline is looking pretty good and we will be checking them out instead.  Too bad, we've been with Verizon a long time. I guess some think these new changes were an improvement. Not me!