Re: New email settings not working on my Mac
feudalmaster

Are you fixed? Did you clear your keychains?

0 Likes
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

@Bosun wrote:

And after reading the last post before mine, I went back and checked "Use only this server" under Outgoing Mail Server and restarted the Mac.

There has to be a screen somewhere that allows you to change the settings for the SMTP server. That is most likely the screen where the problem is. I don't have a Mac, so I can't tell you how to get to it. Hopefully someone will be along that can explain.

0 Likes
tedstod

On July 18 I got a "2nd Notice" to change "incoming" to "POP", and it does NOT WORK on any of my Apple devices. Why won't Verizon recognize this??

0 Likes
Bosun
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yes, I cleared the keychain and tried to resend a message from my Verizon account. Getting spinning gear. Any other suggestions?

0 Likes
Bosun
Enthusiast - Level 3

I thought there might be a screen I was missing, too, so I poked around. Under the first Preference screen, there is a dropdown menu for the Outgoing SMTP server. I selected that dropdown, which took me to another screen where I selected the verizon SMTP, then select Advanced. Once there, I changed from the default ports to the custom port 465 as Verizon's instructions indicate; checked SSL, and authentication Password. I will try again, but if it does not work I have two choices. Take the day off from work and try to reach someone at Verizon support that can deal with a Mac or switch to Comcast for internet, phone and TV. Hate to do the latter because I have no problems with any of my services except email!

0 Likes
Bosun
Enthusiast - Level 3

My last change worked! Sure wish Verizon would assemble all these things in one place with reference to the Keychain and the Advanced tab. Thanks to all those who helped and offered advice.

0 Likes
jolam

Have a Macbook Pro and am getting anxiety at the thought of making these changes...have already received two emails from Verizon.  Have read and re-read all the posts here but am still not clear on exactly what to clear from the Keychain.  Have viewed the contents of the Keychain folder in Utliities.  Do I just delete incoming and outgoing Verizon from the folder?  I'm not that tech savvy and would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks!

0 Likes
Bosun
Enthusiast - Level 3

Before my last post and in a desperate attempt to get things to work, I used the Mac Help to locate my Keychain folder and once there, I ended up deleting everything in it by 'accident.' It did not seem to make much difference to correcting the problem caused by inadequate instructions from Verizon. Perhaps following what I did and deleting the Verizon passwords from the Keychain folder might solve you problem.

I was fortunate in that I have a MacBook that had the 'old' email settings on it so I could still communicate with the outside world while I experimented with the inadequate Verizon instructions and lack of Mac support. My recommendaitons to you is to write down, or take screen shots, of your current email preferences while you experiment.

0 Likes
jolam

Thank you Bosun for your response.  I had already taken screenshots of my preferences in case I had to return to the old settings.  Just wish there were some step by step, detailed, instructions from Verizon for Mac users that could be printed and followed.  

0 Likes
jolam

Thanks to all who posted re: email setting changes.  Was able to make the changes to my Mac....however, there seems to be more spam not being filtered to the spam folder.  Thought less spam was the idea behind the setting changes?!

0 Likes