Re: New POP & SMTP routes down?
dale5351
Enthusiast - Level 3

I was having a similar problem this afternoon (in central Maryland).  I managed to get onto the chat line and eventually the clerk told me that there was a problem in my area -- try again tomorrow.  That was at about 7pm EDT on 25 March.  It is working now at 1am EDT on 26 March.

0 Likes
chrisw8925

OP here, and I'm back on the new settings with no apparent issues as of this morning.

Montgomery County, MD

0 Likes
Re: Verizon net email settings
Vrod1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Just to update, a day later,  pop/smtp now works again.    Verizon mail on mac at least, has not been reliable.

0 Likes
Re: Verizon net email settings
gnv
Enthusiast - Level 1

In SOCAL, the new settings are working again as of 3/26/13.  IN THE FUTURE IT WOULD BE NICE IF VERIZON WOULD POST ON THEIR HOMEPAGE NOTICES THAT MAY AFFECT CUSTOMER SERVICE.  That way we would not have to spend time calling customer service or scrambling through the web and forums for solutions.

new settings

Server

Current Setting

New Setting

SSL Enabled

Port

POP3 Server

incoming.verizon.net

pop.verizon.net

YES

SMTP Server

outgoing.verizon.net

smtp.verizon.net

YES

0 Likes
Re: New POP & familiar routes down?
Fishead1

I had just recently installed Windows 7 Pro and was looking for the e-mail client. I'm not that up on Windows 7 and was looking for the e-mail client and asked in a forum about it and was told that Windows 7 uses Windows Live Mail and I'd have to download it.

So i did and set it up and was recieveing mail thru it using the outgoing.verizon.net and incoming.verizon.net and it was working fine.

Over the last week or so its been asking me for my password which was working before and now is getting rejected.

I can't recieve or send from Windows Live Mail but can with the Web mail client.

0 Likes
purinachick

Can you give me the old settings?  The new ones do not work and the Verizon rep will not change mine back to old.  I need the entire settings, including the "numbers" under "advanced". 

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Look at the ealier post.   The only difference is the server names.  smtp.verizon.net and pop.verizon.net are the newer ones and outgoing.verizon.net and incoming.verizon.net are the old ones.  The same port numbers and ssl have been the recommended ones for a year or more.

And Verizon is sending out messages to those using the old settings telling them they may stop working after September 2013.

0 Likes
JanetInNJ
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just got e-mail telling me that it's "2nd notice" to change settings.  I changed the settings after I got the first notice back in March.  One morning, I was unable to send or receive mail through Windows Live.  I changed back to old ones.  Have not had any problems.

I will change to new ones, but if I have any problems, I'll change them back.

Janet in NJ

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@JanetInNJ wrote:

I just got e-mail telling me that it's "2nd notice" to change settings.  I changed the settings after I got the first notice back in March.  One morning, I was unable to send or receive mail through Windows Live.  I changed back to old ones.  Have not had any problems.

I will change to new ones, but if I have any problems, I'll change them back.

Janet in NJ

And of course that is your right. Just keep in mind that Verizon has apparently said in writing that the old settings won't work after Sept. 2013. So I think it is in your best interests to make the change and if it quits working to make a serious effort to find out why.

FWIW, I have been using the new settings on my laptop for multiple Verizon email addresses with Windows Live Mail (and Thunderbird) for probably 6-9 months now, no failures. I also use the settings on an Android cell phone and an Android tablet, also with no problems. So my guess is that whatever problem you are having is your own, be it incorrect or incomplete definitions, or perhaps interference from whatever anti-virus or firewall you might be using.

When/if you do change and have problems, if you post the complete settings here, plus any additional info like the error message(s) and anti-virus/firewall/anything else that might interfere, I bet someone here will be able to help you.

Good luck.

Keller, TX 76248 (VHO 1)

rsierrajr

I also recently received one of those 2nd Notices that I haven't complied with their instructions to update my POP settings - except that, I did.  With the one exception that my SMTP server is set to smtp.gmail.com.  (Any reason I can't send my stuff through gmail?)

Since the Verizon letter said that they noticed that I still have not updated my devices to the new settings. I wish their letter would say The last time we checked, your POP3 Server setting was XXXXX, you need to update it to pop.verizon.net and your SMTP Server was set to YYYYY; you ned to update it to smtp.verizon.net. That would help me zero-in on what they are complaining about.

BTW, am I right in assuming all I need to update are the account settings in my Thunderbird client?

0 Likes