New POP & SMTP routes down?
chrisw8925

I have two different systems accessing my FIOS email accounts using Thunderbird 17.0.2.

On the machine I have updated server settings at Verizon's request from incoming.verizon.net and outgoing.verizon.net, to pop.verizon.net and smp.verizon.net.  Also changed authentication to SSL/TLS per the instructions.

As of roughly 11:00 am EDT (Maryland), the new setting no longer function.  Restoring them to the originals, or using the other system that was never upgraded gets me lightning fast incoming AND outgoing email again.

Anyone else suffering from this?

0 Likes
Re: New POP & SMTP routes down?
kjgryz
Enthusiast - Level 1

Yes Same here.. What were the old settings?

0 Likes
working_at_it

I have also made the changes updating my Thunderbird server settings as requested by Verizon.  It works well when it works.  The problem I am having is that it is intermittent.  It will work for a while then go down for several hours.  I called Verizon, the service agent said the IT group is reporting no problem which I assume means they are not bothering to test it on a regular basis.  They also don't seem to care and they esentially said if I need email service to go through the web tool.  The problem I have with the web tool is that it doesn't allow me to keep my sent messages in Thunderbird.

0 Likes
chrisw8925

incoming.verizon.net

port 110

no password security

outgoing.verizon.net

port 587

no password security

Through the magic of google, I have seen similar posts in the Verizon small business forums w/in the last day or so, but can't respond to these since I'm a residential-only customer.

I like work-arounds, as they're good for my blood pressure, but I would like to see this addressed.

0 Likes
AlonzoTG
Enthusiast - Level 1

Mee tooo!!

My outage began between 11:10 and 11:18 AM. The tech support person even convinced me that it was my problem even though I've been using basically the same e-mail client for 20 years. I think it is a router configuration issue somewhere on Verizon's side.

0 Likes
hankl1
Contributor - Level 1

My daughters email in northern NJ is down. My Long Island email is fine.

0 Likes
JJ142
Enthusiast - Level 2

Me too!!!!

I look forward to many, many more posts and ultimately an explanation from Verizon, if they monitor the forums.  I refuse to call them and be blamed for this, which is their default position when anything goes wrong.

I will give the old settings a try, and thanks.

0 Likes
JJ142
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just finished a chat with Verizon. 

"There are server issues associated with the new email servers today.  They are investigating the issue; not sure why it hasn't been posted as an outage yet."

He then advised me to use the old settings until the issue is resolved, "later today or tomorrow at the latest."

Good luck to all.

0 Likes
hankl1
Contributor - Level 1

It seems to be working now with the new settings.

0 Likes
Not applicable

The exact same thing happened to me today and after 30 minutes of online chat all they came up with was to revert to the old servers.  Thjen try to switch back in a day or two.  This was all working fine until today so they changed soemthing at their end.

0 Likes