Outbound Email Delivery Blocked
gdw_baghdad
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am in Iraq and beginning November 1st, my outgoing email through outgoing.verizon.net stopped.  The error I receive is "Outbound email deliver from 178.17.63.4 is currently blocked."  My search on that phrase led me to the forums where a similar problem had occured with an ISP in South Africa and one in Greece ... however, the solution provide to those two instances is not workable here - our ISP (TIGRISNET) claims to not have an smtp server and recommended that I tell Verizon to lift the block 🙂

My trouble ticket to Verizon was answered by "call us" ... and I've received no follow-up from them to my responses.

Since I've been able to email without any problems since I arrived in late June, I suspect that something changed during the rollover from October to November in the Verizon outgoing servers that is causing the issue with the TIGRISNET traffic.  I have checked and rechecked my email settings, and am able to receive my verizon email just fine - I am just unable to respond.

I'm using a MacBook Pro with both AppleMail and Thunderbird - both applications receive the same issue with trying to send email.  I am able (as you can see) to log onto Verizon.net, and can send/receive email in the webmail application.

Is there anyone who can help?

thanks.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Outbound Email Delivery Blocked
gdw_baghdad
Enthusiast - Level 2

Okay, I gave up trying to find a solution to the outgoing server issue with Verizon if you're not virtually on the Verizon network when you're trying to send email.  The company could have been helpful and told us paying users of the brand name in our email addresses how to effectively use and promote their services while not in our home area.

If anyone else is having a similar issue with sending email with outgoing.verizon.net from a location other than their home network, try Loa Powertools (http://www.loapowertools.com/) - within ten minutes from reading their web site, downloading the application, creating a user account with them, I am sending email using my @verizon.net usernames.  Faster than they used to transit outgoing.verizon.net.

If you travel much, you might want to check out this application.  I'm running it on a MacBook Pro (less than six months old) using alternatively AppleMail or Thunderbird depending on my mood.

gdw_baghdad

View solution in original post

gdw_baghdad
Enthusiast - Level 2

P.S.  Here are the error messages I receive from Thunderbird:

1-The mail server sent an incorrect greeting:  Outbound email delivery from 178.17.xx.x is currently blocked.
2-Sending of message failed.
The message could not be sent because the connection to SMTP server outgoing.verizon.net was lost in the middle of the transaction. Try again or contact your network administrator.

Would be nice to hear from a Verizon technician able to diagose the problem and provide a viable solution.

thanks

0 Likes
gdw_baghdad
Enthusiast - Level 2

Problem resolved ... and I want to thank the phantom cyber gremlins of TigrisNet and Verizon for solving whatever the issue happened to be.

As mysteriously as the problem started, this afternoon, Baghdad time, I was once again able to send email through the Verizon outgoing servers.

I knew something had changed when I conducted my twice daily transmit check in Thunderbird, and was prompted to verify my password on the server - that hadn't happened before - so, I typed in my password for that account, and voila! successful email transmission.

I still am very curious to know what happened - what changed - where was the "blockage?"

Thanks to all you who read this thread and commiserated with me, helpless as I to ascertain the problem.

gdw_baghdad
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well, the problem's back ... same error message:

"An error occurred sending mail: The mail server sent an incorrect greeting:  Outbound email delivery from 178.17.[xx.x] is currently blocked. 101110."

Since I never heard from Verizon as to whether or not there was a block on the TigrisNet IP, and one TigrisNet Tech said they "reset things" and another said "Verizon removed the block on our IP" - I really do not know a) what caused it in the first place, b) what resolved the issue and now, 3) what's causing it again.

If there are Verizon tech's participating in this forum, could you please check the history on this thread and see if someone can determine what exactly is causing this?  It is exceptionally frustrating.

thanks,

0 Likes
Techman28
Master - Level 1

what is the exact error you are getting when using the outgoing server

0 Likes
gdw_baghdad
Enthusiast - Level 2

The exact error message I receive is:

"An error occurred sending mail: The mail server sent an incorrect greeting: Outbound email delivery from 178.17.63.5 is currently blocked."  (Mac OS, Thunderbird Email)

In AppleMail, the outgoing email just sits in the outbox.

I am receiving mail from incoming.verizon.net just fine.

I've tried resetting the outbound port to 587 and 486 (SSL), but it was working prior to November 1st out of Port 25, and started working again on November 6th on Port 25. 

The first instance of this problem started on November 1st, and mysteriously cleared on November 6th (see log above).  Neither Verizon nor TigrisNet acknowledge doing anything to fix it ... it just started working.

The second instance of this exact same problem started on November 10th and is ongoing, with the only difference being the last digit of the IP - first instance was .4, this one is .5.

thanks for asking,

gdw_baghdad

0 Likes
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

I can't actually help with the issue, since it would require Verizon unblocking the IP, but have you tried a workaround using a different outgoing server? You can use any outgoing server to send mail from your Verizon address and the recipients wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Gmail is free, and they offer pop/smtp access. (There are others of course, but I'm a Gmail fan.)

gdw_baghdad
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks!  I've actually (this afternoon) switched to the only other ISP available here in Iraq thinking that just maybe that was the problem ... not so, still getting the same message:

An error occurred sending mail: The mail server sent an incorrect greeting:  Outbound email delivery from 109.70.xx.xxx is currently blocked. 101112.

I've tried the Verizon solution of using Port 587 with SSL ... server times out ... and if the email settings (all of them!) were readily available on the Verizon website I could double-triple check them ...

You would think Verizon would like the free peet-to-peer  advertisement offered when someone uses a verizon.net email address.

Thanks for the suggestion.

gdw_baghdad

0 Likes
gdw_baghdad
Enthusiast - Level 2

Okay, I gave up trying to find a solution to the outgoing server issue with Verizon if you're not virtually on the Verizon network when you're trying to send email.  The company could have been helpful and told us paying users of the brand name in our email addresses how to effectively use and promote their services while not in our home area.

If anyone else is having a similar issue with sending email with outgoing.verizon.net from a location other than their home network, try Loa Powertools (http://www.loapowertools.com/) - within ten minutes from reading their web site, downloading the application, creating a user account with them, I am sending email using my @verizon.net usernames.  Faster than they used to transit outgoing.verizon.net.

If you travel much, you might want to check out this application.  I'm running it on a MacBook Pro (less than six months old) using alternatively AppleMail or Thunderbird depending on my mood.

gdw_baghdad

Dr_Tom1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am in Saudi Arabia, using Mozilla Thunderbird. I have four e-mail servers that I constantly query: work and personal. Last night my smtp server access from Verizon was blocked. The error message is: An error occurred sending mail: The mail server sent an incorrect greeting:  Outbound email delivery from 'IP Address' is currently blocked. 140829,

I called Verizon the first time, and the service technician called the department that blocks these things, and I was told that it could be Verizon, but it is the middle of the night, so I have to call back in the morning.

I call back in the morning, and I was told that it is definitely not Verizon who is blocking my account. I have troulble believing that. All other accounts work, and incoming Verizon works. The error points to the Verizon SMTP server.

I guess I will call back again and see if I get t third answer.

0 Likes