Password continually rejected/requested
HAS0458
Enthusiast - Level 2

Since late Friday (12/13) afternoon, I have been unable to access my verizon.net account via Windows Live 2012 or Thunderbird. I can access the account via web mail either through Yahoo directly or through My Verizon. Email settings are per Verizon specs and user name/password are correct. The error message I receive is:

Unable to send or receive messages for the Verizon (******) account. An incorrect password was entered. The next time you send or receive messages, you'll be asked to enter your user name and password for this account.

Server Error: 0x800CCC90
Server Response: -ERR [AUTH] Authentication failed
Server: 'pop.verizon.net'
Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC92
Protocol: POP3
Port: 995
Secure(SSL): Yes

The error message comes for both pop and smtp boxes. On Sunday, I was even getting a message that the smtp server could not be found.

I was on a chat session with a customer service rep for close to an hour on Sat. and all she did was reset my settings over and over to no avail. (After allowing her to see and control my screen, this person could not at first locate the properties to view the settings. I had to re-take control and open the menu for her. Sheesh).

Any suggestions or do I just have to wait this out for the Big V to correct the issue from their end? 

Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
Re: Password continually rejected/requested
bsantelli1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Did you ever get this fixed and if so do you know what was done?

This has started happening to me.  happened last week - changed my pw on verizon.net and it fixed it, for a week, not it is happening again - pop worked for a week after I changed the pw, but now it is rejecting the pw again.

0 Likes
HAS0458
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes I was. Solution came from another member in fact. If you have a Verizon-Yahoo linked account, the SMTP and POP3 settings are different from the plain vanilla Verizon access. The settings for this type of account are:

POP3:  incoming.yahoo.verizon.net

SMTP:  outgoing.yahoo.verizon.net

Of course on any Verizon site I visited to look for an answer, there was no mention of Verizon-Yahoo accounts and the additional information needed.

Hope this works for you.

lenk1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Dear Sir:

Your entry solved my problem.  Four different Verizon Techs could not.  One tech got the email reader to work but did not know exactly why.  The next two told me  the problemwas due to an outage in my area but after the outage went away my problem did not.  The next guy,  Marvin, was not able to fix the "server rejects your password" problem and without notice transferred me to a person that blamed the problem on my computer and wanted me to purchase $149.50 worth of online computer repair.  Within 15 minutes of my declining that push, I found your message and added the word "yahoo" to the smtp and pop caption of my email account and Voila! I had email again.

Thank You

Note to all verizon tech workers:

incoming.yahoo.verizon.net

outgoing.yahoo.verizon.net

0 Likes