Re: Question about changing port 25 to 587 yes or no
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@tnj2000 wrote:

As you can see information is very conflicting.....I had thought that because my ISP is verizon and I do use the verizon.net email address that I would not have to change anything.  I do use Windows Mail/ Outlook to send and receive email using my verizon.net email address.

I still don't know the correct answer and am worried about problems that might come up if I don't figure it out.

T

The post by Dkirk above in this thread, answers your question.

0 Likes
alex_lee
Enthusiast - Level 3

Guys ,

You will changed port 25 to port 587 if you access Verizon Email using an Email Client this includes : Outlook Express 5/6, Microsoft Outlook 2003/2007 and Windows Mail.

You dont need to do anything if you access your Verizon Email tru your browsers (Internet EXplorer/Mozilla/Safari).  You dont need to worry about this.

Goodluck

0 Likes
tnj2000

Geez ...I am really starting to get a little frustrated.  I talked to Verizon today and they said that I do not have to change the ports ........  I told them I use Vista Windows Mail and use my verizon.net email.

I just dont get it.

T

0 Likes
alex_lee
Enthusiast - Level 3

actually its a choice, you can either changed it or not.. you can still send / recieve emails, but the thing is, Spammers are sending out Emails on port 25...so to avoid recieving emails from Spammers use port 587...That's ok !

goodluck

0 Likes
Port 25 Reconfigure
gingerbread

I'm so confused, I've read and reread the letter from Verizon explaining and I'm lost.  I don't know if I have to re-configure my Email Settings to send Email due to the outbound port 25 issue.

I have Verizon High Speed Internet and when I click on Help & Settings and About MSN it tells me I am using......

Operating System Windows XP (5.01.2600)

Internet Explorer 8.00.6001.18702

MSN Client 9.60.0053.2200

MSN Market en-us

MSN Brand MSN [VZ02]

MSN SKU Verizon Broadband with MSN Premium

Default E-mail Program Microsoft Outlook

Must I reconfigure? Please advise.

0 Likes
Re: Port 25 Reconfigure
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

I will try to make it simple as I can.

If you are not on a business account, and only if you use another e-mail provider - you must change the port setting for sending e-mail.

This does not apply to any e-mail accounts that you send/recieve with your web browser.

0 Likes
gingerbread

I'm on a residence account, not business. 

I apologize, I'm terribly illiterate when it comes to this subject mainly because I don't understand the terms used.....

R U saying I do not need to reconfigure as long as I only use my MSN software to send/receive my email?  Is my Verizon with MSN software considered a "web browser?" 

Thank you in advance.          

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@gingerbread wrote:

I'm on a residence account, not business. 

I apologize, I'm terribly illiterate when it comes to this subject mainly because I don't understand the terms used.....

R U saying I do not need to reconfigure as long as I only use my MSN software to send/receive my email?  Is my Verizon with MSN software considered a "web browser?" 

Thank you in advance.          

You are using a web browser to access a web server, in this case with message boards/forums.

The URL starts with HTTP to read/post on this forum.

A web browser using a URL to read e-mail can start with HTTP or HTTPs.

If you HTTP or HTTPS to send or receive e-mail, the port blocking does not apply to you.

-

Does thaty answer your question, yet?

0 Likes
floplot
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi

I am also confused with the port 25 change.I use outlook express and I use my verizon email address. I had changed the outgoing email port to port 587 when the notices first started coming out. It had been working fine. Today, I couldn't send out emails. I kept getting errors about my email was spam. Even the test emails to myself were stopped as spam and all it said was test. I called Verizon and the tech had me change the port back to 25 and now it works again..Another problem with using port 587 for email is now my antivirus program won't scan the emails because it isn't port 25 after I change it back to 587. They just came out with the 2010 version and it still will only scan port 25 for emails.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@floplot wrote:

Hi

I am also confused with the port 25 change.I use outlook express and I use my verizon email address. I had changed the outgoing email port to port 587 when the notices first started coming out. It had been working fine. Today, I couldn't send out emails. I kept getting errors about my email was spam. Even the test emails to myself were stopped as spam and all it said was test. I called Verizon and the tech had me change the port back to 25 and now it works again..Another problem with using port 587 for email is now my antivirus program won't scan the emails because it isn't port 25 after I change it back to 587. They just came out with the 2010 version and it still will only scan port 25 for emails.

#1 Then stay on port 25.

#2 What anti-virus program is it?

0 Likes