problem downloading email messages today
scififan2
Contributor - Level 1

Hi all!

I am having a problem downloading my email messages this afternoon. It is really slow, and then just gives up.

I am using the latest version of Thunderbird, and have not had this problem previously.

Just curious if it is just me or if others are having the same issues.

Thanks!

0 Likes
Re: problem downloading email messages today
BobS9
Enthusiast - Level 2

Body,

I live in Central NY area and we have had email problems for the past 3 days (25-26-27 Jan) and with Verizon sites themselves.  Tried downloading their email tools and the site would timeout or give me a 404 error.  Did the Chat thing and they were clueless about any outages for our area.

Finally the next day I called tech support and got someone in Rhode Island.  Very helpful even though she said there were no official reports of troubles, she had heard from the previous shift that there had been a number of calls about email problems.  Makes you wonder why no one generated a trouble ticket.

After awhile, she got a network tech to look into our area and he said "the pool was lit up", meaning a lot of problems and he opened a trouble ticket ( {Edited for privacy} ) that although was supposed to be closed yesterday, is still open.

But today, I am getting Verizon email and I am able to access some of the Verizon sites I was having problems with - like their speedtest.verizon.net site which requires Java to run.  Usually if a site needs Java to run, you get the error message as I did on the speedtest site.  That I just checked and it's now accessible again so progress has been made.

We're new to the FIOS service (one month) and up until this past week, no internet or email problems but the past few days have been a mixed bag.

BobS

0 Likes
scottydog
Enthusiast - Level 3

Bob, I've had Fios now since July 2012. Had no issues with email until September 2012, their email servers broke down, and since then, Verizon is throttling everything about email based on loads possibly. My emails are coming in around 200 kbps on an average business hour day and increase outside of those hours but never exceeding 4 mbps.

5 months of calling and still the same. Maybe you should call more often since everything internet is based on how many people call to complain and how often.

0 Likes
scififan2
Contributor - Level 1

Ah, thanks Bob, nice to know I am not alone. I am in Maryland, BTW, so not a localized problem.....

0 Likes
scififan2
Contributor - Level 1

Ah, yes, scottydog, I have been a customer for a few years now, and you are right, after that severe outage, things have never returned to normal. I blamed my computer, or Thunderbird, but now I am wondering if it something wiht Verizon.

We pay for extra speed, and with my email, I'm not seeing it. It is true that Verizon considers our email a "free service" so they are likely not to pay as much attention to it.

0 Likes