Problem downloading Verizon-Yahoo mail
LGM3
Enthusiast - Level 2

My Verizon mail account is linked to Yahoo. I had the account setup correctly in Thunderbird about 2 years ago. Then it stopped working (no downloads in Thunderbird). I didn't much care at the time because it is not my primary mail account. But I would like to start using it again. 

So in an attempt to get it working again,  I've been inputting all possible settings but I can't get mail to download from my account. Sending out mail from within Thunderbird using Verizon is fine. It's just the downloading of mail via POP3 that won't work.

The mail is going to my verizon account -- I can log on via the Yahoo interface on the web and the mail is in my inbox. It just won't download.

Can someone give me the correct settings to use?

Here's what I've been using:

Incoming:

incoming.yahoo.verizon.net  (port 110/

Outgoing:

outgoing.yahoo.verizon.net (port 587)

As I said, outgoing is fine. It's just the incoming that won't work.

What do I need to do to get it to work?????

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Problem downloading Verizon-Yahoo mail
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

Those settings look correct.

Are you using the same username/password info for incoming and outgoing?

What error are you getting?

Have you tried (temporarily) disabling any security software to see if it's causing problems?

View solution in original post

somegirl
Champion - Level 3

Those settings look correct.

Are you using the same username/password info for incoming and outgoing?

What error are you getting?

Have you tried (temporarily) disabling any security software to see if it's causing problems?

LGM3
Enthusiast - Level 2

Problem  solved -- well mostly. I know what's causing it but I don't know yet how to fix it.

The suggestion to disable security software worked. I have both Comodo and Avast running all the time, and disabled both to see what would happen. Bingo. The mail download worked.  So I figured it was Comodo, but when I turned just that back on, the mail download still worked, So it was Avast after all.

Now I never thought to check the security software because my 3 other mail accounts in Thunderbird work just fine with all secruity software enabled. Maybe there is something about the incoming mail server (incoming.yahoo.verizon.net) that it doesn't like? I have no clue and can't find any setting in Avast where I can tweak the mail filtering settings. I will go post on the Avast forum and maybe they can figure out how to fix it.

At any rate, at least the issue is identified. Thanks for the help.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@LGM wrote:

Problem  solved -- well mostly. I know what's causing it but I don't know yet how to fix it.

The suggestion to disable security software worked. I have both Comodo and Avast running all the time, and disabled both to see what would happen. Bingo. The mail download worked.  So I figured it was Comodo, but when I turned just that back on, the mail download still worked, So it was Avast after all.

Now I never thought to check the security software because my 3 other mail accounts in Thunderbird work just fine with all secruity software enabled. Maybe there is something about the incoming mail server (incoming.yahoo.verizon.net) that it doesn't like? I have no clue and can't find any setting in Avast where I can tweak the mail filtering settings. I will go post on the Avast forum and maybe they can figure out how to fix it.

At any rate, at least the issue is identified. Thanks for the help.

If you are running both Comodo and Avast anti-virus  programs then you should stop using one of them. Running more than one anti-virus at one time is almost always going to cause problems. Now if one is a firewall and the other is anti-virus you should be ok.

I am a fan of Avast anti-virus, I use the free version and am very happy with it. You can turn off the scanning of either inbound or outbound emails, or both, in the Mail Shield area of the user interface under Real Time Shields. I would be surprised that Avast Anti-virus would affect your email, but maybe so. Anyway, you should be able to disable the email checking if you need to.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
LGM3
Enthusiast - Level 2

Justin, my Comodo is just the firewall version, and my Avast is just the anti-virus part.

It definitely is Avast that is affecting the account. And for some reason, it's just that one account. I think specifically it is the incoming.yahoo.verizon.net server.  Outgoing mail is fine. And both outgoing and incoming mail for the other 3 accounts I have in Thunderbird are fine.

I posted over at the Avast forum to try to get help, but so far no answer. Ironically, I found another poster in that forum with the exact same issue who posted in early December, and her issue was not resolved. That poster also had problems with incoming POP3 from the yahoo.verizon.net server using Thunderbird and Avast, but not outgoing.

For the time being, I disabled scanning of inbound emails. But hopefully they will come up with an answer.

Justin46
Legend

@LGM wrote:

Justin, my Comodo is just the firewall version, and my Avast is just the anti-virus part.

It definitely is Avast that is affecting the account. And for some reason, it's just that one account. I think specifically it is the incoming.yahoo.verizon.net server.  Outgoing mail is fine. And both outgoing and incoming mail for the other 3 accounts I have in Thunderbird are fine.

I posted over at the Avast forum to try to get help, but so far no answer. Ironically, I found another poster in that forum with the exact same issue who posted in early December, and her issue was not resolved. That poster also had problems with incoming POP3 from the yahoo.verizon.net server using Thunderbird and Avast, but not outgoing.

For the time being, I disabled scanning of inbound emails. But hopefully they will come up with an answer.

OK, just was worried that you might be using two anti-virus programs at the same time, some people try and it rarely works well.

I don't use Yahoo, I just use the normal Verizon servers for my POP3 access with Windows Live Mail, no problems with Avast doing that. Interesting that using Yahoo causes a problem. I hope you can get it fixed quickly, and when you do, please come back here and tell us what the solution was, it could help someone else in the future.

Good luck.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Try uninstalling and reinstalling Avast.   Avast has an email redirection component that looks to divert traffic going to various mail servers so that it can scan incoming mail for viruses and I suspect it's not picked up the Yahoo mailbox configuration.

So ... deinstall Avast, make sure everything is working with the various mail accounts, and then reinstall Avast and have it discover and configure itself for mail receipt again.

0 Likes
LGM3
Enthusiast - Level 2

Justin, I will certainly post the answer here if they come up with one. A few people at the Avast forum have suggested solutions, but nothing is working now, except for the less-than-satisfactory workaround of disabling inbound mail filtering.

Question: Is incoming.yahoo.verizon.net a Yahoo server or is it owned and managed by Verizon?

0 Likes
LGM3
Enthusiast - Level 2

lasagna, took your suggestion and this morning uninstalled Avast and then reinstalled it. Made no difference,. Still got the same errors/problems.

BTW, I like your username. The first thing I thought of when I saw it was Jamie Lee Curtis' radio spot aimed at teens and drug prevention where she played off the word "lasagna." The commercial is pretty witty.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@LGM wrote:

Justin, I will certainly post the answer here if they come up with one. A few people at the Avast forum have suggested solutions, but nothing is working now, except for the less-than-satisfactory workaround of disabling inbound mail filtering.

Question: Is incoming.yahoo.verizon.net a Yahoo server or is it owned and managed by Verizon?

Unfortunately (I guess fortunately for me!) I don't have a Yahoo Verizon portal email address so I can't do any testing myself to see if I could come up with a solution. But yes, once you do get a solution it would be great if you would post it.

My understanding is that, despite the name being yahoo.verizon.net, the email servers are actually Yahoo servers, not Verizon. So it might be worth your time to contact Yahoo to see if they can provide any help.

Good luck.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes