Problem sending small attachments with email
SusanC2
Enthusiast - Level 1

I used to be able to send small attachments with Verizon very easily, such as .pdf and .doc files.  What I sent as Resume.pdf or Resume.doc was received as Resume.pdf or Resume.doc.  Even when I used the accent marks, what I sent as Résumé.pdf or Résumé.doc was received as Résumé.pdf or Résumé.doc

However, lately some of the recipients of my emails with attachments (who use a range of different email programs and ISPs, so the problem is not on the recipient's end) have told me that they can't see the attachments (the rest haven't responded at all).

Even when I don't use the accent marks, what I send as Resume.pdf or Resume.doc now gets received as something like 347560586083560.dat...which looks much less professional when I send a cover letter and résumé to apply for a job.

How can I fix this problem and go back to sending files such as Résumé.pdf and Résumé.doc, or at least Resume.pdf and Resume.doc, so that they are received properly?

I use Eudora instead of webmail because

Here are the tech specs:

• Eudora 7.1.0.9

Its "Sending Mail"  options are:

• SMTP Server
  • SMTP Relay Personality
  • Allow authentication [yes or no] 
  • Immediate send [yes or no]
  • Send on check [yes or no]
  • Use submission port (587) [yes or no]
  • Secure Sockets when Sending [Never; If Available, STARTTLS; Required, STARTTLS; Required, Alternate Port]

Thank you in advance for your help!

Re: Problem sending small attachments with email
Hubrisnxs
Legend

This is normally a problem with Outlook users that are using rich text to send their emails.  Rich text causes a problem like you are describing, and their fix is to use plain text to send their emails instead.

I am not sure if your fix would be the same, but give it a try and let us know.

Send Plain Text Emails Only in Eudora

To have Eudora generate and send plain text emails only:

• Select Tools | Options from the menu.
  • Go to the Styled Text category.
  • Make sure Send plain text only is selected under When sending mail with styled text (HTML):.
  • Turn Ask me each time off.
    • Optionally, also uncheck Show formatting toolbar.
  • Click OK.