Retrieve Emails NOT ON SERVER
jcl65431
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hello,

I just got a new computer and use Outlook for email and one of my sub accounts was set up to NOT LEAVE EMAIL ON SERVER.

Since that sub account has email on the old computer and the emails were not left on the server, is there a way that I can retrieve the old emails in the Verizon Webmail?  

The emails were never deleted or anything, just not left on server.

I guess if I had to I can re-set up the old computer and get them but I was wondering if I can somehow get them right from the Verizon Webmail.  I tried but can't figure it out and was wondering if I was wasting my time.

Thank you for any help.  

Jeff

0 Likes
Re: Retrieve Emails NOT ON SERVER
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

When you setup an email program to "not leave messages on server," the program deletes the messages from the server.   Webmail is an extension of the server.  This means the only place messages exists is in the email program.

If you want those emails, you'll have to turn on your old computer.

It is usually possible to transfer email messages and settings from an old computer to a new computer.  The exact method depends on the operating system and email program.  Google should be able to point you to helpful tutorials.  If you can't figure it out you could post more details here and we should be able to help.

Good Luck

jcl65431
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for this info.  I figured as much.  It's not a huge deal to re-set my old computer, just an inconvenience really.  Just need to pluck an email or two off it.

I did just go into Outlook on my new computer and unchecked the box that says "DELETE EMAIL ON SERVER --- 14 days"  That way they'll always be on the server, correct?  (I hope I did that right)  

Thanks again and take care.

Jeff

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

There are two main protocols that are used to connect between an email server and an email client.  They are:

POP (Post Office Protocol).  This is a simple store-and-forward service designed to move email from a server to a single client.  It worked well in the days before we had multiple places to access email. The link between the email server and the email client can be configured to save the messages on the server; that's what you're playing with.  However, the client does not keep track of email on the server.  Some other means, such as Webmail, must be used to manage it.  The server can fill up depending on how much storage space is available.  If it fills up, no new mail can be received.

IMAP (Internet Message Access Protocol).  This protocol was developed to allow multiple email clients to access messages on a server.  It supports folders and other "advanced" features.  When an email client connects to a server using IMAP, messages stay on the server and are synchronized between the server and all clients.  This is very useful in our mobile world.

I don't use Verizon's email much, as I prefer to have my email service unrelated to my ISP.  As I recall, Verizon only offers POP.  If so, you can leave messages on the server but be sure to manage them via Webmail from time to time.  If Verizon supports IMAP now, you should consider using it.

Good Luck.

0 Likes