Retrieve or change password for sub account
gustav21286
Enthusiast - Level 1

I need to retrieve or change the password for a sub account (my wife) Her computer died and am setting up her email on a new computer.

Re: Retrieve or change password for sub account
tns
Master - Level 2

If your account is the primary you can change all subaccount passwords.

http://www22.verizon.com/ForYourHome/MyAccount/Protected/Account/MyAccountProfile.aspx#Subaccounts

Catemaco
Enthusiast - Level 2

That is not correct.  The link leads to a section of the account page that says "Manage sub-accounts", but when you click on the "change" link for a sub-account, the only choices you get are to enter first and last name, zip code, and the level of access the sub-account should have.  There isn't an option to change the password.

I went through this  before.  You have to call Verizon.  This is really a serious weakness in their system.  Not only does it create more work for them and the customer, but the you have to tell the customer service person the password you want, or let them create one for you.  Either way, they end up knowing the password for that sub-account.

0 Likes
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

@gustav21286 wrote:

I need to retrieve or change the password for a sub account (my wife) Her computer died and am setting up her email on a new computer.

If you know the password to the sub, you can log into it and change the password the same way as you would change the password for the primary.

If you do not know the current password, you can try the forgot password link. Apparently this link is not the same accross all pages, and some of the links don't play well with sub accounts. Go to http://webmail.verizon.net and use the Forgot Your Password? link from there. You will have to answer the secret question for this method.

If you cannot remember the secret answer, you can call Tech Support and have them reset it for you. They will reset it to a random string of numbers and letters, which you can then reset to a personal password through the customer portal. Contrary to what Catemaco stated above, tech support does not have to set your permanent sub account password. Reset passwords are intended to be temporary measures.

tns
Master - Level 2

@Catemaco wrote:

That is not correct.  The link leads to a section of the account page that says "Manage sub-accounts", but when you click on the "change" link for a sub-account, the only choices you get are to enter first and last name, zip code, and the level of access the sub-account should have.  There isn't an option to change the password.

I went through this  before.  You have to call Verizon.  This is really a serious weakness in their system.  Not only does it create more work for them and the customer, but the you have to tell the customer service person the password you want, or let them create one for you.  Either way, they end up knowing the password for that sub-account.

At the time I wrote it I believe it still worked.  Perhaps they had already changed it at that point.  Anyway at some point they changed it so the Manage subaccounts could no longer reset subaccount passwords.  At this point you have to attempt to logon to the subaccount and change it there.  If you don't know the password, there are procedures for asking for a password reset that Somegirl documentd.  In the worse case you will have to call Verizon for a password reset of the subaccount.

CaptCcrunch

If you try to log in to the subaccount and follow the "forgot password" link, you can get a temp password and reset the password as you describe . . .

EXCEPT . . .

the password actually reset is to the master account and not the subaccount!!  Then you are faced with changing the master account password in your email software or logging on to the master account and restoring it starting with the "new" password. 

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes