SMTP server rejecting our logins
jrl3
Enthusiast - Level 2

My wife, on Windows 10 using Outlook 2016, and I, using Windows 7 and Outlook 2016, suddenly are getting SMTP errors.  Email worked yesterday and now SMTP is rejecting our logins today.  Nothing changed on our ends.  What gives?  Is the SMTP server down?  This is suspiciously close to the date that those "NEW REQUIRED SETTINGS" alerts for AOL emails said we had to have new settings in by.  My settings match the AOL direction.  Man I hate AOL... So **bleep** that Verizon went to AOL.  

Anyhow... Anyone else having SMTP problems and unable to send emails?  

Re: SMTP server rejecting our logins
TwirlyGirly

Yes! I use Thunderbird/Win 10 and as of this morning I cannot send email due to a password fail. I have not changed my password. When I get the pop-up asking me to enter my password I do so, but it won't accept it (I have Thunderbird set up to remember my password and did check to ensure it hadn't been changed or deleted).

Incoming mail is fine.

I didn't have to make any changes to my settings (per the email from AOL - I use POP3) as all of my settings were already set to what they required. The most frustrating thing is I don't know who to contact or how to get this issue resolved!!!

0 Likes
starman42
Enthusiast - Level 2

same here. I hope verizon is listening. we use outlook 2016 which worked yesterday and conforms to required settings for POP3. this is serious enough to consider switching ISP.

0 Likes
George1947

I'm having the same problem with Nov 8th email server that does NOT let me send out; however, I am able to receive email.  I'm using the POP setting 995 and 465

0 Likes
kad421
Enthusiast - Level 1

Yup, same issue here on Thunderbird and two android devices. I called AOL tech support and got routed to a "Billing Dept" that informed me that I'd have to pay for thier monthly tech support plan in order to even speak to someone who might be able to help.

-K

0 Likes
flyingkites1

Me too.

Using Outlook. 

Had 995/465 using SSL and was working.  But kept getting emails from AOL about updating. This morning cannot send email. Kept asking for passwords

Tried their other advise https://help.aol.com/articles/verizon-move-to-aol-mail-updating-your-third-party-email-program-or-mo... 995/587 using TLS made no change.  Got

Send test e-mail message: The connection to the server was interrupted. If this problem continues, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).

0 Likes
flyingkites1

I got it working with 995 / 587 using TLS.

0 Likes
kad421
Enthusiast - Level 1

It just started working for me using 465/SSL so I suspect they either reversed the change they made last night or fixed it, I'd bet on the former since I don't think they've got the inteligence to fix anything. This forcing us over to AOL Mail is just a nightmare all around.

-K

flyingkites1

AOL response to my support request was

"We apologize for the inconvenience you are experiencing. At this time, we have identified the issue and it is being addressed. While we cannot provide a specific time when the issue will be resolved, our team is working to correct it as soon as possible."

This was AFTER it was working again.

0 Likes
starman42
Enthusiast - Level 2

I was told it was Microsoft's problem, or that I had made an error. then it started working again later in the morning....

0 Likes