Re: Spam Detector
stu357
Enthusiast - Level 3

SpamHater01,

Thanks, I'm pleased it help.

If you have not already done so, I would suggest some housekeeping on your filter and blocking rules. Try to find the minimum set that meets your needs. I see what happens and re-add them only if neccesary.

If you are not using a email client, like Thinderbird, you might consider it. It will connect to each of your email servers and download messages. You'll no longer have to foward your emails to your primary email account.

Good luck. Enjoy,

Stu

kathwfoz
Enthusiast - Level 1

It makes perfect sense that verizon is in cahoots with the spammers.  I only have a verizon email because I have their dsl.

the only contact I have listed is  spamdetector.notcaught@verizon.net to forward spam emails 

0 Likes
stu357
Enthusiast - Level 3

kathwfoz,

Knowing what I know now, I retract that open question regarding Verizon's relationship...implicit or explicit...with the commercial spammers. Since entering the two filtering rules that I have described above, I have not received any commercial, unrequested spammer emails in my Inbox. I have several email accounts with Verizon and they're all filtering as I want and expect. I would suggest that you try the rules and see if they correct the situation. Please lets us know.

Stu

0 Likes
RA110

I fully agree with you and feel the same frustration. Verizon's spam detector system is useless. Despite all filters spam keeps coming in every single day. But the worst part is (if you have not experience it yet) when you try to reply to legitimate e-mails or send new ones. Your message bounces back just because Verizon's system determined that your message is spam. You are given a URL to go to and check the "new" spam policy. If you "think" your e-mail is legitimate you are required to forward that e-mail to spamdetector.update@verizon.net. If you are lucky you will have the addressee's address unblocked in an hour or so. I did that for quite a number of messages and for many, many days until I noticed that it was taking over a week to get that blockage removed. 

I called the tech deparment and after waiting the usual 30 or so minutes on the line, what I got was the most unbelievable reply. My outgoing e-mails were being blocked because of my signature-- "Member of...." For Verizon this "member of...." thing  is an indication that I'm a business, which I'm not. In a nutshell what Verizon wants is more money from us. If they consider that you are running a business even if you are a free-lancer, then you need to change your account to a business account--that's what the tech told me. How many free-lancers are out there using their personal accounts to get jobs? Tons of them. Good luck, Verizon. Good bye!  You are loosing here a loyal customer for over 10 years! Your spam policy is uselss on both ends.

0 Likes
stu357
Enthusiast - Level 3

RA1,

I don't know if you read the thread or only my initail entry. I am currently happy with Verizon spam detection. It does what I want and expect. It filters out emails from commercial spammers. I had only to define two filtering rules, see above.

You might be receiving unwanted emails because somewhere along the way you did not remove from or you inadventantly entered a check in a check box that added your email address onto a subscription list. An email sent to you using that list looks to a spam detector like a legit email. You can add domain filters to flag such emails as spam. I think it better though to select the unsubscribe option that is often hidden in the small print at the end of the email. Sometimes, though, you must do it a few times.

Don't beat yourself up about it. Don't beat up Verizon. You can't hold them responsible for things you did or didn't do. And I screw up too. Recently I inadvertantly allowed a malware program to install on my computer. It took me several hours of work to remove it, only a couple, though, once I found good instructions on the Internet. A lot of what is out there on the Internet is too old to be helpful. I do question the veracity of some of it.

Good luck.

With regard to your other issue, I have no expereince with that. You might search out another thread that is more applicable to the proble.

0 Likes