Spam Detector
stu357
Enthusiast - Level 3

My question: How to improve spam detection?

I identify all spam emails as "SPAM" and they go into the Spam Detector folder. I forward all spam emails to: spamdetector.updupdate@verizon.net. It has negligible effect.

Of interest, I use Thunderbird as my email client. It catches much more than Verizon Mail. I have a zoho.com mail accolunt. It catches more than Verizon Mail. Sometimes I wonder if Verizon is in cahoots with the advertizing spammers, e.g. $0.0001 for every spam ad email that it lets through. I know it doesn't make sense but ...

Re: Spam Detector
mdcatdad
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have the same problem, and have resorted to the same solution since I found out where to forward spam, not that it does any good. 

Verizon told me that flagging spam as such only blocks it from the same IP address/e-mail address.

SpamDetector worked well for years (I've been with FiOS over 4 years now) but recently it's not detecting waves of spam that appear in my Inbox between 0500 and 0600 each morning.

Verizon: what is being done on your end about this? How can we consumers help?

stu357
Enthusiast - Level 3

Maybe if we all identify email services that do a better job of spam detection than Verizon, a power-that-be at Verizon might "suggest" to the manager of the spam detection software group that they contact those services and find out what they are doing that is different and better. I would be discouraged to see a NIH attitude exisitng at Verizon. Thanks for your inpuit.

0 Likes
Normx
Enthusiast - Level 2

Greeting,

full disclosure: I own Verizon stock.

I also us T-bird. I get very little spam. one a month. maybe. But then I'm anal about telling people not to "send this to everyone in your address book", with all of the emails clearly printed in the forward,forward, and more forward.

My biggest problem is sending security updates and best practices to the 10 people who depend on me.

They are arbitrarily flagged as outgoing spam. When I try to send it to the spam updater, it gets flagged again as spam.

This is Verizon's way of telling you to go somewhere else.

I went through this Gen Tel, ATT and Pac Bell.

I have had several moderators tell me, and other users, the email service is "free". If you don't like, go somewhere  else.

Really??? Free???? Just try and get the 6 or so email accounts with yourname@verizon.net without buying Verizon Internet service.

I give Verizon a C+ for overall service.

The only thing Verizon understands is did you pay your bill last month.

If you did, you are a satisfied customer.

Please don't take this as a defense of Verizon.

I'm just pointing out how big business works.

And as Verizon is a monoploy, you 2 choices. Slim and none, and Slim just left town.

Unless you are prepared to walk away with Slim, Verizon won't change how they do business.

normx

And wait until net nutrality is dead and buried. My last proxy ballet from Verizon had a NO Vote on Net Nutrality.

If you think the cost of internet access is expesive now, boy are you in for a big surprise.

0 Likes
bruteforce1
Enthusiast - Level 3

verizon is a spammer part of the problem not the solution

0 Likes
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

@stu357 wrote:

I identify all spam emails as "SPAM" and they go into the Spam Detector folder. I forward all spam emails to: spamdetector.updupdate@verizon.net. It has negligible effect.

Of interest, I use Thunderbird as my email client. It catches much more than Verizon Mail. I have a zoho.com mail accolunt. It catches more than Verizon Mail. Sometimes I wonder if Verizon is in cahoots with the advertizing spammers, e.g. $0.0001 for every spam ad email that it lets through. I know it doesn't make sense but ...

spamdetector.update@verizon.net is for valid messages that were caught mistakenly by the filter.

spamdetector.notcaught@verizon.net is for spam messages that the filter didn't catch.

Sending to the wrong address works against you.

bruteforce1
Enthusiast - Level 3

somegirl

online tech support tells you to report spam to spamnotcaught just fyi both domains are useless no help what so ever

0 Likes
stu357
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks 'somegirl' for the distinction.  Verizon Support gave me the address with no qualifications. It would seem that Verizon, among other things, needs to do a better job in preparing their support staff.

Of interest, since I posted the forum entry I have not received any of the spam emails that prompted the posting. Coincidence or another example of "rattling the cage"?

Of note, the spam emails that were the most annoying were those that were sent to my account but when displayed would show no "To" addressee". It would seem that there is something that could be detected here to readily identify them.

Thanks to all for your input.

I've been prompted to identify an "Accepted Solution". One would be an entry by the Verizon development team describing what steps they are taking to improve the spam filtering.

0 Likes
stu357
Enthusiast - Level 3

Update: I thought that "spamdetector.notcaught@verizon.net" would do the trick but, alas, unreasonable expectations.

Looking at the spam headers, my spam originates from:

119.81.xxx.xxx

144.114.xxx.xxx

149.114.xxx.xxx

193.180.xxx.xxx

Is it possible to direct that all emails received from this IP address be directed into my spam folder or automatically deleted?

0 Likes
bruteforce1
Enthusiast - Level 3
Gold Contributor V

@stu357 wrote:

I identify all spam emails as "SPAM" and they go into the Spam Detector folder. I forward all spam emails to: spamdetector.updupdate@verizon.net. It has negligible effect.

spamdetector.update@verizon.net is for valid messages that were caught mistakenly by the filter.

spamdetector.notcaught@verizon.net is for spam messages that the filter didn't catch.

Sending to the wrong address works against you.

MVP

Re: How to stop Verizon from treating non-spam e-mail as spam?

How do you have the Verizon spam filter set?  Make sure you set it to save spam in a folder rather than deleting it.

Check that folder.  IF the newsletter is going there you can write a rule to allow a copy to be sent to you EVEN if the newsletter is still considered spam.  You should also mark the newsletter as not spam, and hopefully they will update it to stop flagging it.

0 Likes