Spam filter - when will this start actually filtering spam?
gcville
Contributor - Level 3

Does anyone know when this will start actually blocking spam?

Can Verizon work on this?  What is the status on this??  Block the spam please!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Spam filter - when will this start actually filtering spam?
gcville
Contributor - Level 3

The filtering does work; you just have to set it up properly and use the from addresses.  It took a few days or so , but now most of my spam is filtered.  Clicking on SPAM didnt seem to work - you need to go to Settings, then add filter and send to spam detector.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader
  1. One it is a third party product that Verizon uses.
  2. It does filter some spam, but doesn't use simple lists such as you would use in a client.  you can use a set of filtering rules in addition but the number of rules is limited.
  3. It was once much more effective, but spammers have gotten better and better at getting around it.
  4. You might try a eMail client where you have more control. 
  5. You Might try the Yahoo/Verizon email interface, assuming its available in your area.  It has a better reputation.
0 Likes
ar671

My spam usually contains some characters in the name field that are unprintable..I speak English and can't figure out why spam with invalid characters gets through,  e.g., "ThePaleoSecret            "
 <jcwljgcc@zdhokoyeip.brocarry.net>.   The blanks are not blanks in the original.

0 Likes
gcville
Contributor - Level 3

Thanks.

Clicking the spam button doenst seem to do anything at all except put it in the spam detector box.

I set up some filters, but the spam keeps coming and it is work to try and block each one.

I used to use Norton security ,but that spam blocking only works with MS Outlook, not Outlook Express anymore.

The spam blocking for the webmail is ineffective and frustrating.

0 Likes
gcville
Contributor - Level 3

The filtering does work; you just have to set it up properly and use the from addresses.  It took a few days or so , but now most of my spam is filtered.  Clicking on SPAM didnt seem to work - you need to go to Settings, then add filter and send to spam detector.

0 Likes
Mark_VA_USA
Enthusiast - Level 2
I have been using Verizon email and spam filter has been on for years, generally working very well.

However in abut the past month, it seems the filering process has fallen behind.  For exampele, I continue to receive spam spoofed to an eku.edu and continue to hit the Spam button on these emails in the Verizon web email.  It appears these spoofed emails are well known per http://it.eku.edu/insidelook/verizon-spam but the Verizon filter stiil is not catching them.

Like I received two eku.edu spoofed spam emails today and at least two yesterday, not caught by Verizon spam filter. I have even sent emails in the recent past to spamdetector.update@verizon.net as well.

I continue to receive other spam not caught by Verizon filters but that does get caught by Outlook.

So it seems the Verizon spam filter does not seem to  working as well as it has in the past.

0 Likes
gcville
Contributor - Level 3

You have to manually add filters, but the filters will max out and did. You can only set a certain amount.  Need to be able to add more in this day and age. Works well now for me... just needed to take the time to manually add them.

0 Likes
mcc3
Enthusiast - Level 2

What really irritates me is that Verizon has the ability to detect spam but won't let you employ it.  For instance, today I received one of those "you have $1.5 Million waiting for you..." emails which I want to forward ,to a friend for a good laugh.  Can't be done - Verizon recognizes it as spam andd will not let me send it.  If they know it's spam going out,, why can't they stop it coming in?  How about it, Verizon?  I'd love to hear the reason why I, the victim,, is blocked from sending this crap that you let come into my inbox in the first place?

0 Likes
sknudde

The spam I am getting always has a date-warning header, which should be easily blocked/redirected by the Verizon mailsvcs.net server.   Able to filter it via Thunderbird desktop but there seems not to be a solution for Android.

0 Likes
The_Dude3

My spam doesn't get filtered. As far as I'm concerned what is presented here as a "solution" doesn't work, plain and simple. I've had the options for filtering checked forever and that's exactly how long it hasn't worked. Every day I manually mark and remove all spam. Not confident in it being resolved either based on experience but I always hold on to a thread of hope. Does filtering actually work for anyone else?

0 Likes