Re: Spam filter - when will this start actually filtering spam?
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@The_Dude wrote:

My spam doesn't get filtered. As far as I'm concerned what is presented here as a "solution" doesn't work, plain and simple. I've had the options for filtering checked forever and that's exactly how long it hasn't worked. Every day I manually mark and remove all spam. Not confident in it being resolved either based on experience but I always hold on to a thread of hope. Does filtering actually work for anyone else?

It works a bit, however it is being retired.  All users are instead going to eventually be migrated to AOL, which is now a Verizon Company.  Its filter appears to work a bit better.

0 Likes
FWEhr
Contributor - Level 1

Manually adding hundreds of addresses to filter, is NOT a solution. As other frustrated customers have pointed out, subject lines with non-printing characters (which seems to be a hallmark of this latest group of d*****ds) could easily be trashed by Verizon.

What really seems to be going on is, Verizon cares not at all for shielding customers from spam. The honest approach would be to say "sorry, we're feckless or careless about email, so just use us for broadband and find an email provider like gmail, who are serious about the service."

That may sound crass, but trying to get Verizon to up its game is apparently like pounding sand.

chi
Enthusiast - Level 2
I'm starting to phase out this email account - it seems that Verizon MUST be profiting in some way from SPAM! It blocks NOTHING! I get 20 times more SPAM than authorized mail. Why should we have to go in and physically type out sender names to block SPAM? That's ridiculous and unacceptable from a company the size of Verizon. THEN - I have to go through and delete all the garbage because it absorbs my space. This email is THE worse - I would advise new customers NOT to give your Verizon email account out to people because you'll end up having the task of trying to save important emails to s flash drive and change your email address with other vendors. I've had Verizon email for 10 years - and unfortunately, it has been my go to for business and personal - I absolutely hate it. Verizon should be ashamed to have such an inept spam blocking system - I've shared my views with Verizon in the past, and hoped it would get better at some point, but it has not changed at all - it's worse! When my contract is up - I'm OUT! #rantover
0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@chi wrote:
I'm starting to phase out this email account - it seems that Verizon MUST be profiting in some way from SPAM! It blocks NOTHING! I get 20 times more SPAM than authorized mail. Why should we have to go in and physically type out sender names to block SPAM? That's ridiculous and unacceptable from a company the size of Verizon. THEN - I have to go through and delete all the garbage because it absorbs my space. This email is THE worse - I would advise new customers NOT to give your Verizon email account out to people because you'll end up having the task of trying to save important emails to s flash drive and change your email address with other vendors. I've had Verizon email for 10 years - and unfortunately, it has been my go to for business and personal - I absolutely hate it. Verizon should be ashamed to have such an inept spam blocking system - I've shared my views with Verizon in the past, and hoped it would get better at some point, but it has not changed at all - it's worse! When my contract is up - I'm OUT! #rantover

1)  The Spam filter is a third party offering that Verizon was using.  And yes it has gone very much down hill as spammers got botter.

2)  Spammers hurt Verizon, so they do want to do something.

3) They are migrating everyone's Email to AOL.com (now a Verizon.com) which has a newer and hopefully better spam filter.  The servers are already AOL.  (do an nslookup of pop.verizon.net)  Some people have had there email complete the migration to AOL including all the Customers in California, Florida and Texas who were later sold to Frontier.

0 Likes
amylindberg

I have been a loyal verizon customer for over a decade and really want to keep my domain serivce but can't justify it much longer unless we get a solution or learn of a solution timeline. The SPAM DETECTOR links in SUPPORT are not working, or are obsolete. I don't have the DETECTOR downloaded that I know of, and it seems by these POSTS that it wouldn't matter much, anyways. What is VERIZON's PLAN/SOLUTION before they see a major exodus?

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@amylindberg wrote:

.... What is VERIZON's PLAN/SOLUTION before they see a major exodus?

Their plan is to move everyon to the AOL offering.  No you don't have to change your userid@verizon.net  or other settings  The verizon server iname can still be used as they are aliases to AOL servers.  You do no have to login to the aol when you are told to migrate to complete the conversion, and although you are recommende to change your password, you don't have to.  You also can change over to using IMAP rather then POP if you want.

0 Likes
didette1

I agree - I have blocked, put in spam folder time and time again, and iI still get tons of spam.  I find verizon's efforts to block spam as totally useless.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

The classic Verizon email uses a third party blocking service.  Pretty much static as they are moving away from it .

Everyone is being moved to AOL Email, AOL now being a Verizon Company.  It has its own different spam blocker which I believe is in-house rather than third party.

0 Likes
kwhollywood

I agree ! The sad part is were paying for it. I don't have this problem with hotmail.

0 Likes
poss727
Enthusiast - Level 3

I've been using AOL for a few weeks and the spam filter is like night and day! Haven't had one spam in my inbox-such a welcome relief!

0 Likes