SPAM filtering not working
ikarus2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Everyday I get the same spam email and forward it to verizon spamdetector notcaught.  I'm using the spam filter on the subject and this doesn't work.   What is Verizon's plan to address this continually bombardment of spam.   

0 Likes
Re: SPAM filtering not working
Techman28
Master - Level 1

how are you setting up the filters? have you tried blocking the domain that is sending the spam to you. When you get the email are you specifically flagging it as spam, not just sending it to the spamdetector.

0 Likes
ikarus2
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm filtering on what's contained in the subject title, for example Ink.   But email with subject title Get High-Quality Printer Ink Delivered Right To Your Door!  gets into my inbox,   I've even fitlered on match and spam still gets through

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Ive seen a few of those. Hard to match as the actual text has a lot of unprintable characters in it.

0 Likes
Techman28
Master - Level 1

utilizing the spam filter like that is only going to block that line of text meaning it will only block an email if it contains that exact subject everything else will pass through. I would suggest blocking the domains or email addresses.

You'd be suprised at blocking spammers for a long time then unblock them and find that all spamming has stopped. I think what they do just like any other spammer out there is that they send a ton of emails from 1 account close it then create another one and move on. Just keep blocking the domain or address if they are using a domain like verizon.net yahoo.com hotmail.com etc.

0 Likes
ikarus2
Enthusiast - Level 2

The spamdetector should capture subject words that are being filtered on.   However, it is not the Ink was just an example.   If an email is flagged as spam, the same subject should not be showing up in your email.

0 Likes
craigp1
Enthusiast - Level 1

While Verizon's spam filter frequently works I have been receiving several emails a day that are obviously spam.

I use my apple email as my primary (too much spam on verizon and I have a much better email address with apple)

My apple email rarely gets any spam.

Why can't verizon do what apple and most others have been doing for years?

ikarus2
Enthusiast - Level 2

My other email accounts receive no phishing or spam emails.  With Verizon it's a continuous bombardment of the same subject matter junk.  And, labelling the email as spam and forwarding it to spamdetector does appear to be having any noticable affect in reducing the junk.

0 Likes
ikarus2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Spams are forwarded to spamdetector and a auto-reply is received back.  Status unknown

I like to hear from Verison whether the below filter should stop spam, because it's not.

If Subject Contains Hair move to SpamDetector

this spam

Subject: RISK-FREE TRIAL: Regrow Thicker, Fuller Hair

Return-path: <{edited for privacy}>
Received: from cassiono.net ([185.61.203.193]) by vms172075.mailsrvcs.net
 (Oracle Communications Messaging Server 7.0.5.32.0 64bit (built Jul 16 2014))
 with ESMTP id <0NDW0086I5KKH890@vms172075.mailsrvcs.net> for
 @verizon.net; Thu, 23 Oct 2014 04:41:25 -0500 (CDT)
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2014 04:41:23 -0500 (CDT)
Date-warning: Date header was inserted by vms172075.mailsrvcs.net
From: "=?ISO-8859-1?B?S2VyYW5pcXVlCQYBBwcECQYECA==?=" <ttaosfrk@cassiono.net>
X-Originating-IP: [185.61.203.193]  

0 Likes
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

@ikarus wrote:

Spams are forwarded to spamdetector and a auto-reply is received back.  Status unknown

I like to hear from Verison whether the below filter should stop spam, because it's not.

If Subject Contains Hair move to SpamDetector

this spam

Return-path: <{edited for privacy}>
Received: from cassiono.net ([185.61.203.193]) by vms172075.mailsrvcs.net
 (Oracle Communications Messaging Server 7.0.5.32.0 64bit (built Jul 16 2014))
 with ESMTP id <0NDW0086I5KKH890@vms172075.mailsrvcs.net> for
@verizon.net; Thu, 23 Oct 2014 04:41:25 -0500 (CDT)
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2014 04:41:23 -0500 (CDT)
Date-warning: Date header was inserted by vms172075.mailsrvcs.net
From: "=?ISO-8859-1?B?S2VyYW5pcXVlCQYBBwcECQYECA==?=" <ttaosfrk@cassiono.net>
X-Originating-IP: [185.61.203.193]  

Based on what you've pasted there, it didn't stop is because the conditions don't match. Your filter is for "Hair" and they have "Hair[unprintable character]"

Open a notepad and copy/paste the full subject line in; you should see it.

Why Verizon wouldn't filter for partial words in a "contains" filter is another question entirely.

0 Likes