Suddenly, Receiving' reported error (0x80042108) in Outlook .......
jmikef

Here is the error message that has been appearing since Friday 10/17 when I try to retrieve verizon email via Outlook 2013:

Receiving' reported error (0x80042108) : 'Outlook cannot connect to your incoming (POP3) e-mail server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).'

I see a lot of references to this error. I'm convinced it's a probelm with Verizon, because I've:

1) repaired the outlook.pst file

2) reinstalled Outlook

3) restored my pc to a state before the error appeared

4) turned MS firewall on and off with no effect

5) checked and rechecked the confiuration settings in Outlook for my verizon acct

At this point, there is nothing more I can do. Please advise, thanks.

J Mike

Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Suddenly, Receiving' reported error (0x80042108) in Outlook .......
mprince2
Enthusiast - Level 3
0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Your asking peers here.

We would need more info to suggest things.

Recent known problems

• Old servers are going away, Need to make sure you are using the right servers.  For non-yahoo email users that is pop.verizon.net and smtp.verizon.net
  • For Yahoo users, You need to add @verizon.net to your id.  Your servers are incoming.yahoo.verizon.net and outgoing.yahoo.verizon.net           
  • If outside the USA you probably had your ip addresses put on the blacklist.  You need to contact Verizon to get it whitelisted
  • Inside the USA still may have had your isp or IP address put on the blacklist.  Again contact Verizon.
0 Likes
jmikef

Thxs for the feedback. I needed to add that I was using my Surface at a friend's home in Chapel Hill - he had just installed ATT U-verse. When I got back home, NO PROBLEMS. So, there must have been a setting in the U-verse rounter that was blocking Verizon email - possibly one of the ports was blocked. Hope this helps folks who are having a problem.

0 Likes
mprince2
Enthusiast - Level 3

No, it wasn't the ports. It was the IP being blacklisted by verizon. I get the exact same error in outlook when using my TWC isp but it works if I switch over to Optimum.

Contacting verizon about the issue is useless as they are clueless about it.

0 Likes
jmikef

I'm beginning to believe they are clueless about customer support. I'm thinking of switching to another provider. The IP blacklisting - I supposed is to stop spam - is a stupid, ineffective technique that causes more problems for loyal customers than stopping spam. I spend most of my time deleting spam in my verizon acct. btw.

0 Likes
mprince2
Enthusiast - Level 3
0 Likes
jmikef

Thx for the link. This is good to know. Why the silent treatment from Verizon?

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

@jmikef wrote:

Why the silent treatment from Verizon?

Because this is a peer-to-peer forum.  Verizon doesn't participate in discussions here.  If you want a response from Verizon, you have to contact them using chat or phone.

Enjoy.

0 Likes