Suspicious email purportedly from Verizon re email settings
pshaas

Titled:  Action Required Now - Important Changes to your Verizon Email Account.

Dated: 4 Apr 2012

NO REFERENCE to my personal EMAIL ACCT Number or My Name !
Requiring "me" to revise my email pop server settings, dropping secure settings in the process.

Is this legitimate ???!!

The "Verizon" email msg refers me to click on "Check Verizon Announcements" under the "I want to..." tab at Verizon's site for more help.  THERE IS NO such item with that title to click on.

0 Likes
Re: Suspicious email purportedly from Verizon re email settings
prisaz
Legend

The Email server names have changed recently, but if you ever question an email, do not trust it. Close the mail, and go directly to the source.

http://www22.verizon.com/support/residential/internet/fiosinternet/email/setup+and+use/questionsone/...

"

Mail server settings

• Incoming mail server (POP3😞 pop.verizon.net
  • Incoming Server Port Numbers: 995
  • Outgoing mail server (SMTP😞 smtp.verizon.net
  • Outgoing Server Port Numbers: 465  Why is this important?
  • Your Verizon Online user name
  • Your Verizon Online password
  • Make sure "This server requires a secure connection (SSL)" is checked.

"

Re: Suspicious email purportedly from Verizon re email settings
Justin46
Legend

@pshaas wrote:

Titled:  Action Required Now - Important Changes to your Verizon Email Account.

Dated: 4 Apr 2012

NO REFERENCE to my personal EMAIL ACCT Number or My Name !
Requiring "me" to revise my email pop server settings, dropping secure settings in the process.

Is this legitimate ???!!

The "Verizon" email msg refers me to click on "Check Verizon Announcements" under the "I want to..." tab at Verizon's site for more help.  THERE IS NO such item with that title to click on.

Since you did not provide the entire text of the email there is no way to know for sure whether the one you received is valid or not. But most definitely Verizon is asking their email customers to change their settings. And the change is NOT to drop secure settings but instead to add them if you do not already have them.

Now here is what I hope is the proof that the request is valid:

1) The pull-down on MyVerizon:

2) The current list of announcements, including the one for the email changes:

3) The actual text of the announcement:

Now if the email looks like the above, I believe it is valid. But that does not really matter, Verizon is in fact asking you to make the changes documented above. Whether you choose to do so or not is up to you. I expect that for the immediate future you old definitions will continue to work, but at some point Verizon will discontinue accepting those definitions. I have no clue when that might occur, but I believe it will be in the not too distant future (whatever that means).

I suggest you make the changes and move on.

Keller, TX 76248 (VHO 1)