Unable to Connect to Verizon Mail Servers from the Outside
ScottJ1
Enthusiast - Level 1

If you are using POP3 for retrieving your Verizon.net emails through other networks (i.e. not Verizon's network), you have likely experienced the error message (particularly using Outlook) that it was unable to connect to the Verizon.net mail server. This has been occurring on AT&T and Time Warner's networks.

The problem is NOT with AT&T or Time Warner (or any other network), it is with Verizon.  After mutliple calls to Verizon's technical support, our dogged IT guru finally located a person within Verizon's technical support team who told him that (a) this is a known problem;  (b) it has been going on since September 17th;  (c) is caused by a "major network failure" on Verizon's mail network;  (d) has caused them to lock out access to the Verizon mail servers for all network except their own (which is why Verizon mail service works in your home, office or on your Verizon cell phone if you have Verizon service at home or in your office); and (e) is being gradually resolved across their customer based.  They expect it to be fully resolved by September 26th.

It is "funny" (not), that Verizon has not notified any of its customers about this problem.  Based upon the tone of the conversation with the Verizon technician, it seems to imply a major security breach (but this is just speculation).

So, if you're experiencing this problem.... stand-by and see if they actually do get it resolved in the next few days.  In the meantime, do what I have been doing.... using a Verizon Wireless hotspot to send/receive emails from outside of my home.  Ugh!

Re: Unable to Connect to Verizon Mail Servers from the Outside
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Hi ScottJ,

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Before the agent can begin assisting you, they will need to collect further information from you. Please go to your profile page for the forum and look at the top of the middle column where you will find an area titled "My Support Cases". You can reach your profile page by clicking on your name beside your post, or at the top left of this page underneath the title of the board.

Under "My Support Cases" you will find a link to the private board where you and the agent may exchange information. This should be checked on a frequent basis, as the agent may be waiting for information from you before they can proceed with any actions. To ensure you know when they have responded to you, at the top of your support case there is a drop down menu for support case options. Open that and choose "subscribe". Please keep all correspondence regarding your issue in the private support portal.

0 Likes
Re: Unable to Connect to Verizon Mail Servers from the Outside
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus
0 Likes