verizon AOL email won't download to outlook
RokinRobinLoxly
Enthusiast - Level 2

Starting April 24, 2018 at 9:37 am EDT, my Outlook 2016 desktop PC email program stopped downloading incoming email from Verizon AOL servers to my desktop PC (with Windows 10, Office 365).  I can send email out of Outlook from my PC, but no emails download into Outlook.  I can download email OK into my online AOL account.  I can receive emails sent from my PC Outlook to my online AOL email account.  But when I try to download emails into Outlook on my PC, all I get are error messages "connection to the server was interrupted."  I was previously getting a similar error, where email downloads initiated by clicking on "send/receive" would timeout, so I extended the incoming email download time from 1 min to 2 min, and this worked for that problem for 2 days.  But now I can't download any emails into Outlook.  Anyone have any ideas?  Thanks in advance...

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: verizon AOL email won't download to outlook
RokinRobinLoxly
Enthusiast - Level 2

I found a fix, from this webpage "Update Verizon.net account info in POP3 email applications":

https://help.aol.com/articles/verizon-move-to-aol-mail-updating-your-third-party-email-program-or-mo...

This page is dated April 13, 2018, and it tells me to simply change my Outlook email settings as follows:

incoming mail server to pop.verizon.net (had been incoming.verizon.net)

outgoing mail server to smtp.verizon.net (had been outgoing.verizon.net)

Did that, and everything is now back to normal.  

View solution in original post

RokinRobinLoxly
Enthusiast - Level 2

I found a fix, from this webpage "Update Verizon.net account info in POP3 email applications":

https://help.aol.com/articles/verizon-move-to-aol-mail-updating-your-third-party-email-program-or-mo...

This page is dated April 13, 2018, and it tells me to simply change my Outlook email settings as follows:

incoming mail server to pop.verizon.net (had been incoming.verizon.net)

outgoing mail server to smtp.verizon.net (had been outgoing.verizon.net)

Did that, and everything is now back to normal.  

tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Again settings have not been changed.  These are the same they have been for years.

valleyboo
Enthusiast - Level 2

No solution but the same problem.   Using Outlook 2016 client on my desktop and AOL,   I cannot download email.   Started a week or so ago with major lapses in service.  Emails are on AOL server which has totally inadequate abilities related to mail handling.    The same problem occurred with my Samsung cell phone and the samsung email client with AOL.    I've had to download the AOL server view as an interim solution.    This is really aggrevating.   I've contacted Verizon premium tech support,  AOL tech support and Microsoft.   No one has a solution.    I have contacted Best buy and Verizon wireless regarding my cell phone;  their only solution is to download the AOL view which is horrible.    My settings are as described above. SO frustrated.     

iup90
Enthusiast - Level 1

Precisely as valleyboo has stated.

AOL email will no longer download to Outlook (in my case...as of: 5/20/18).

-Settings have not changed and are as prescribed.

note: this happened one time in the past and it cost me severely.  I monitor all email via Outlook and for reasons described did not receive a very important email due to the fact that it did indeed appear in the AOL user interface BUT NOT in Outlook.

Verizon....we are PAYING for a service....please DELIVER.

slkh1
Enthusiast - Level 1

My email stopped downloading at the beginning of July.  I've had the same settings since the Verizon/AOL merge(?) or whatever it was. I keep getting the pop-up box asking me to verify my password.  I've contacted Verizon twice and all they do is type the same password that I have typed several times and it miraculously starts to work again.  Then 2-3 days later and sometimes back and forth in a day, it stops working. They said it was an Outlook problem, but I'm not buying it. 

I'm with iup90...we're paying for a service we're not getting!

Capsfan7

I've had exactly the same problem as you and others on this thread with W7 and Outlook 2016. The account settings for the aol server login and download are correct. What I have found as a possible workaround (annoying as this is and I don't understand why) is to login to aol with your browser (I usually view my new emails while I'm there) then log off. It seems that shortly thereafter the latest emails on the server download to Outlook, but I'm sure this must be an aol problem. The email service has taken a definite downgrade since verizon ceased to provide it themselves.

Also, a word of warning: Has anyone viewed the aol "privacy" policy before clicking ok/accept? Don't assume that having a privacy policy means that your communications are private. For example, you will be agreeing to the following:

• We’ve updated some of the ways we collect and analyze user data in order to deliver services, content, and relevant advertising to you and protect against abuse. This includes:
    • Analyzing content and information (including emails, instant messages, posts, photos, attachments, and other communications) when you use our services. This allows us to deliver, personalize and develop relevant features, content, advertising and services
    • Linking your activity on third-party sites and apps with information we have about you
    • Providing anonymized and aggregated reports to other parties regarding user trends
0 Likes
STRAOKIEGRL1

WELL, it's now June 2019, and I'm having the same problem with verizon.net emails using AOL with my Mail for Windows 10 app............it stops working ............twice now!!!!!

It will not let me set up my email account now, no matter what I do.  I have tried everything suggested in the Windows troubleshooter to no avail.  I'm at the end of my rope.  And of course, as we all know, AOL won't provide support unless you become a paying customer..........WELL, I'M NOT PAYING VERIZON AND AOL FOR SERVICES THAT ONE OF THEM SHOULD BE PROVIDING!!!!!   THIS IS NUTS!!!!!   VERIZON SHOULD FIX THIS PROBLEM.  PERIOD.  

Again, this is NOT Outlook, it's the Mail for Windows 10 app that is malfunctioning for me.  But essentially, I am having the same problem all you other folks have been having.  NOT receiving my email.  If I go to the AOL mail site, I can see my mail and send and receive there, but I shouldn't have to do that.  Should I???  This is just crazy.  I have hundreds and hundreds of emails stacked up and this is a major inconvenience.  They say in the news now that "people don't use email any longer", but they also say that people pay their bills online...........so how do you think they receive their bill notifications, **bleep**???

0 Likes
summest
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm not sure if this will be of help, but I have the same download issue almost every day.   It's as if the AOL mail server has trouble accepting the connection.  I don't believe it's a timeout issue.   Once, when I logged into my AOL account online it said I had to change my password, and after doing so my mail worked fine for a week then it was back to the same download issue.  That leads me to believe it's more about AOL servers having trouble authenticating with other 3rd party mail clients like Outlook, which I use Office 365.   The only thing that seems to work every time after it fails to download is I have to login to my online account.  Once I've done so and it accepts my login/authentication online, then I can go back to Outlook and hit send/receive with success.   FYI, I use Outlook as a POP 3 client, with the standard SSL/TLS server settings and ports 995 and 465.   Server names are pop.verizon.net and smtp.verizon.net.   Don't get paranoid is the only advice I can give.   It's not your email settings, your internet connection, your router, your computer, or anything else...this is 100% AOL servers malfunctioning and were all probably better off migrating to some other service to spare us the pain of trying to get their customer support make us run in circles changing all our settings and then hang up on us.   Good luck people.

BB510

I've been unable to send email since May (severely affecting my career and consulting business). I can fully function on my phone, but not through Outlook.   Today, I have been waiting 32 minutes (so far) to download email and am still unable to send.   Again all is fine on my phone, but I have attachments and proofs to send and frankly for longer messages prefer my lap top. 

Any suggestions?

0 Likes