Re: Verizon email Security changes - recent email alerrt
nyjfootball
I realize that using the spam filter Spamihilator is the reason why my Verizon email client Thunderbird won't work. Using Spamihilator changes the incoming and outgoing settings and is now incompatible with my mail client, Thunderbird.
0 Likes
rcmichels1

Okidokee ... well I may have an answer.  Just spent an hour with tech support who actually had to have their supervisor with them on this issue.  Here's what they did and it's now working.  (At least for now. 🙂 )

I have Outlook Express, just so you know.

Change the outgoing port to 587.

Uncheck that SSL required.

Change the incoming port to 110.

Uncheck that SSL required.

Apply.

I suggest testing it then.  They said I could share this on the forums to see if it helped others.  Good luck!!!

0 Likes
joecon

Same thing here--Used new settings--doesn't work. Used old settings--it works. Went back to old settings untils I get a new email with CORRECT settings. I am using Outlook 2007.

HELLO VERIZON!!!!

HOW ABOUT FIXING THIS AND EMAIL US THE CORRECT SETTINGS!!!!

0 Likes
JohnMolta

I got Outlook Express to work, but could not get my Iphone 4 to connect. Got error "unable to connect." Called Verizon support. He said that possibly there is an incompatibilty with the software on my iphone and that I should just use the old settings. I've spent a load of time on this. This is ridiculous.

0 Likes
drdigital
I had the same exact problem. The change in settings don't work! I am using Outlook 2010 and could not send or receive anything. So I switched back to the old setings no problem. I'm not changing until Verizon gets it right.
0 Likes
Mark_VA_USA
Enthusiast - Level 2

I also made the email settings changes per the recent Verizon Notification, followed the instructions provided at the website.  I have Outlook 2007 and found that I could no longer receive mail.  I returned to the original settings and had no trouble at all.

Now for the post by rcmichels1 on 01-05-2012 01:28 PM , if the tech support and their supervisor said to Uncheck that SSL required, since the stated purpose of the Important Changes to our Verizon Email Account is ensure ongoing security for Internet customers, why do we uncheck SSL required, since SSL can provide added security???

0 Likes
hfdzl

Same issues as others. Updated to new settings --- OUTLOOK  would not work --- return to default with no SSL works fine

0 Likes
mopzo
Enthusiast - Level 3

Same issues here too. Switched back to previous settings and all is good.

0 Likes
peteh1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have been using Netscape 7. something with no trouble up to this point. After changing the settings to the SSL I get to the "Connecting to Verizon" message but not the "Sending username and password". It just dies. I switched it back to the default 110 and 25 and no SSL and now it's still not working. I even tried the above settings that the fella that called the helpdesk got. No dice. So I downloaded Thunderbird and copied over one of my profiles and it still won't work. I'd hate to have to try Outlook for this. Not sure what to do if I put it back to default and it still won't connect to Verizon.

0 Likes
JimVl

I received the verizon message to change incoming/outgoing email port and security settings on 12/14/2011.  So I changed my Windows Mial incoming port from 110 to 995 with SSL checked and changed outgoing port from 25 to 465 with SSL checked.  It worked fine until last night 01/05/12.  Outgoing emails still work but incoming gets an error.  I changed incoming back to port 110 with SSL unchecked.  This works - both incoming and outgoing mail.

I went to online support chat.  Agent Randy told me there is a problem with port 995 SSL checked.  He said nothing about outgoing email problems.  He said I did the right thing - use port 110 with SSL unchecked until the problem is resolved. 

I asked if I will get an email when the problem is resolved.  The agent said that has not been determined at this time, but to continue using port 110 until that no longer works and then try port 995 again.

What kind of customer support is that - try your own solution until that doesn't work any longer and then try something that was supposed to work to begin with?

They seem to be pushing you to use verizon web mail.  Why would they want to clutter up their servers with emails that normally drop off to individual local user computers?

0 Likes