Re: Verizon.net Email Login Issue
glnzglnz
Contributor - Level 3

Tina M and dexman - agree with you both!  Aol doesn't care how much they bother us, while at the same time they do not fix other issues, like repeating duplicate downloads of emails (only from AOL, not my other email provider).

Question - my wife has had an aol email account since forever.  She does not use Outlook but uses other email apps on her various devices.  She hasn't complained about a disconnect issue, so should I tell her to expect one?

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

I think that different apps will behave differently. My thought would be to keep this on the back burner and know what to do if she loses the ability to log in.

0 Likes
Nells250
Enthusiast - Level 3

Earlier this week, for no apparent reason, 2 of my 5 verizon.net email accounts cannot send/receive through Outlook on my PC.  BUT, if I go to the AOL website, I can access them.  This is less than ideal for me.  

All have the identical settings, and also the same passwords.  BUT I keep getting an error about the servers.  

I've looked at the posts here and I think THIS is my issue:

If I do what they suggest:  

... what should I expect to happen next?  And how does generating a password change anything at all with compatibility issues with Outlook, aka "Oauth2 secure sign-in method"?

HELP!  😞  

0 Likes
silverado4x4
Contributor - Level 2

I had the same problem with my wifes email and had to do what Dexman said and it worked but my email still works and didn't have to change the password.

Iam just wondering if I can change the new generated password to something else if it will still work?

0 Likes
glnzglnz
Contributor - Level 3

silverado - how would you change the password on the aol side?  Wouldn't you have to change that first before matching it on your wife's email app on her PC?

0 Likes
Beelzy
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have had this exact same problem starting this week.  Unfortunately, even when I generate a third party app password, I can't get Gmail to work (it has been working for many years until this week when it suddenly broke).  When I put the third party app password into Gmail, I get an error "pop.verizon.net does not support leaving messages on the server" even though the option to leave messages on the server is unchecked.

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Because I use the stock Microsoft Email app on my two Surface devices, I select a different choice from the shown drop down menu.

Once the choice is made, the new password will be displayed. Use it to log into the account.

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

I have a Gmail account and it hasn't been affected by the changes implemented by AOL.

Beelzy
Enthusiast - Level 2

I had my Gmail account setup to check my Verizon/AOL e-mail and it worked perfectly for many years until last week when AOL made these changes.  While troubleshooting it, I removed my Verizon/AOL account from Gmail, and now I can't add it back even with the third-party password because Gmail gives an error "pop.verizon.net does not support leaving messages on the server".  The workaround to use Gmailify is terrible and I don't want to do that.  It is very unfortunate that Verizon, AOL, and Gmail don't care enough to keep this working the way it has been for years.

0 Likes
Nells250
Enthusiast - Level 3

THANK YOU GaryDM for working some magic with my post... not sure why those images weren't showing up!

Anyhoo, I would like to know why AOL didn't send out any information to us (meaning verizon.net email holdouts) regarding upcoming changes.  Unless they went into the World of SPAM!

Being one of the only ones here who is using a PC-based copy of Outlook, I may try doing the auto-password thing on one of the two effected email accounts which I hardly ever use as a TEST.  If I do, I'll share the results here with you all.