Verizon Online Email Account Changes - Legit Email
mikdoc

Is the following a legit email from Verizon?  I received two notifications and neither one of them was addressed to any of my valid accounts...Just want to make sure prior to seleting the links and being spoofed or spammed.  Thanks

Dear Verizon Internet Customer,

At Verizon, we continue our efforts to enhance your online experience as well as ensure ongoing security for our Internet customers.  As a result, Verizon Online has modified the way email is handled when sent or received through an email application other than MyVerizon. 

If you only use MyVerizon to access your email account, no action is required and you may disregard this email.  If you do, however, use other applications to access your Verizon email, such as Outlook Express®, you will need to modify your email settings to take advantage of enhanced security we now offer. 

In order to make these modifications, please ...://verizon.com/emailsettings visit  for information about the  email settings you need to update.  Additional information may also be available by going to our online forum at ...://forums.verzon.com/.

Thanks for being a valued Verizon Online customer and we encourage you to act now to ensure your email account has the proper settings on a going-forward basis.     

Sincerely,

Verizon Online

0 Likes
Re: Verizon Online Email Account Changes - Legit Email
jse56

I will just add that I received this suspect e-mail but my wife (another e-mail on the same account) did not.  That adds to the suspect nature of the e-mail.  So the question is what is Verizon recommending its users should do with what looks like a very slick phishing e-mail?

My question was posted after I ignored the links in the e-mail and went to support pages on verizon.net itself and could find nothing new about how to set up my e-mail account settings for Apple Mail.... 

jse56

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

Yes it is a legitimate email from Verizon. I have received it on one of my Verizon email addresses and not yet on two others.

What Verizon is doing is basically announcing the implementation of SSL for their email. Up until recently Verizon did not offer SSL support, which provides greater security for your email transmissions.

Here is a link to the Verizon web page describing the settings:

http://www22.verizon.com/ResidentialHelp/FiOSInternet/Email/Setup+And+Use/QuestionsOne/124289.htm?CM...

I switched to SSL on my Verizon email accounts many months ago, works fine. They are now just trying to get more users to switch. At some point in the future they may require the use of SSL, I have no idea if or when.

Keller, TX 76248

Suzanne7777
Contributor - Level 1

I tried changing my settings in outlook to what the instructions stated:  incoming server 995 and outgoing server 465, and then I checked the box saying use SSL encrypted.  Then I sent a test connection email and the connection would not go through. 

I put my settings back to what they were: incoming server 119 and outgoing server 25, and I unchecked the box.  Then the email test worked. 

Any idea why the new setup will not work? I am not messing up my settings again unless I cannot access email at all.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@Suzanne7777 wrote:

I tried changing my settings in outlook to what the instructions stated:  incoming server 995 and outgoing server 465, and then I checked the box saying use SSL encrypted.  Then I sent a test connection email and the connection would not go through. 

I put my settings back to what they were: incoming server 119 and outgoing server 25, and I unchecked the box.  Then the email test worked. 

Any idea why the new setup will not work? I am not messing up my settings again unless I cannot access email at all.

What error message did you get? What servers?

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
EverCurious

I have the same issue.  I use Outlook (full feature, not Express) and when I make the changes  (995/465/SSL), I also cannot send a test email.  I receive the following error message: 

Send test e-mail message:  The operation timed out waiting for a response from the (SMTP) server.  If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).          

When I change back to 110/25/No SSL a test message is quickly sent.  I tried multiple times with the same result.

If I change back to 110/25/and check SSL, I cannot even log into the incoming server (first test).

I have a "verizon.net" email address (i.e., not third party)...supposedly I am not supposed to need to make these changes, but I am having issues with other people receiving my emails and, occasionally, with my sending them.  In the former case, the emails appear to have been sent successfully, but many recipients report they never received them.

0 Likes
extree
I received the notice to change email settings, and changed the port #s and the SSL setting, My antivirus, Avast , immediately popped up a warning that SSL is not needed, and interferes with its ability to screen email. It said **IT** would provide all necessary security! MY email program is Eudora, and has been for 15 years. I do NOT want to deal with other programs, including online email or mail embedded in browsers. Verizon needs to recognize that there are a number of perfectly good stand-alone email programs such as Eudora and Pegasus and have available the correct settings for them.....as well as anticipating how the various anti-virus programs will react to changes. Now I have to test all sorts of settings by sending myself mail. Ok...just tried to check mail AFTER making your changes, and it just hangs! This will not do! Going to check and re-set settings as best I can.
0 Likes
Alex_VZ
Enthusiast - Level 2
nkpltrr
Enthusiast - Level 3

I found the answer by searching thru support. I had to sign in to access my email account online then I clicked on the support tab and it took me to a page called "My Support Dashboard". From there I found a link to setup email and that let to another page where you could select Apple Mail setup. It gives a 10 step  process with all the basic information but eventually it gives the ports as 465  and 995 and how to set up. Maybe you already have this since your original post on the 14th. I just got this email from Verizon today and it seemed to be a bit vague and not addressed to me so I went on line and logged in to make sure. Anyway after I made the changes all worked well. Depending on which version of Mac OS you are using you may have to look around a bit in the account preference window to find all the places to make the changes. 

Dave

Mac user and proud of it 

qrk
Enthusiast - Level 1

To setup Eudora with the new SSL stuff:

Launch Eudora and navigate to Tools -> Personalities.

Right-click on your persona with the Verizon account and left-click on Properties.

In the Generic Properties tab, set "Secure Sockets when Sending" to "Required, Alternate Port".

In the Incoming Mail tab, set "Secure Sockets when Receiving" to "Required, Alternate Port".

By using 'Required, Alternate Port', you are forcing Eudora to use SSL on SMTP port 465 and POP port 995.

This same technique is also how to set up Eudora to send and receive on Gmail accounts.

That should do it.

I have tried this out on Eudora versions 6.2 and 7.1.

Version 6.x will say something about a bad SSL certificate. Accept it and Eudora will be happy.