Verizon POP server error
WillinMD

With this morning's update of my email client Mozilla Thunderbird 31.1.2, I can no longer retrieve email from the verizon POP server. The error message says: Error: pop.verizon.net : server does not support RFC 5746, see CVE-2009-3555. The Mozilla explanation of this is that the verizon webmasters need to fix some java applet on the mail server. Can you do this please?

0 Likes
Re: Verizon POP server error
SIBLY1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm suddenly getting an error this morning too, although a different one.  Thunderbird 31.1.2.  It keeps asking for a pasword.  I get an error "Sending of password for user <xxx> did not succeed. Mail server pop.verizon.net responded: + " then "Login to server pop.verizon.net failed".  This just started today and my email still works on my phone.  maybe related to above?

0 Likes
dabceb1125
Enthusiast - Level 2

Also getting same message today.

0 Likes
thequixta
Enthusiast - Level 3

Outlook is timing out today as well. Verizon does not know how to run a mail server. When I ask for help they try to access my machine and change or re-enter their settings (often incorrectly). I know for sure my setting are correct and I do not wish anyone at anytime to access my machine. This seems to happen about every month or so and then everything begins to work correctly by *magic without changing anything? Verizon also does not know how to run a spam filter. How do I know? When I download my email to outlook it separates out all the spam; but when I mark it as spam with their web client the same spam shows up in the in box every day? Keep in mind I am not a typical end-user. I have been a computer consultant since the 80's. I am thinking it may be time to switch back to Optimum!

0 Likes
Metangel

I am getting the following message on my cell phone when it trys to retreive messages. " Server password has changed. Enter the new password"

The password hasn't changed.  Maybe they are having issues.  it was working fine until about 8:30am EST this morning.   Hopefully it will be fixxed soon.

0 Likes
Doodaman

I'm also having problems accessing email, from all my devices (android phone, iPad, PC) and it appears to be intermittent. When I first accessed it this morning, I was given the message that the account had been locked due to multiple login attempts. I've changed/updated my password and still am having issues. I as a previous poster am an IT/Network person, so I know the settings are correct. This must be an issue on Verizon's side.

0 Likes
Re: Verizon POP server error - fixed (for me anyway)
ScottMargaret
Enthusiast - Level 1

I also started having this problem this morning. I fixed it by changing my Account name in Thunderbird server settings to the original cockamamie Verizon user name -- in my case {edited for privacy}.  Does anyone know why this should have made a difference all of a sudden?

0 Likes
thequixta
Enthusiast - Level 3

I now see 7 posts about this! If Verizon knew or cared what they were doing it would have been fixed by now. I have noticed the post time is wrong on all the posts I see here? Verizon sleeping or are they imploding. I doubt those posts are from different time zones?

0 Likes
SIBLY1
Enthusiast - Level 2

mine suddenly started to work.

0 Likes
thequixta
Enthusiast - Level 3

*Magic* and I bet you changed nothing!!!!!

0 Likes