Re: Verizon's outgoing e-mail server foolishly blocking spam-complaints
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

As stated in the Spam FAQ page, you will not get any response when sending the message to spamdetector.update@verizon.net for review. You attach the message that you are unable to send, and they review it. Depending on the outcome of the investigation, the filter will either be updated to allow the content that was previously blocked, or it will be determined to be a legitimate block and no changes will be made.

Some troubleshooting steps you can try:
If you have a signature, try removing one line at a time from it and attempting to send the message again. Some signatures look like "ads" to the filters.

If you are using a pop3 client (Outlook, Outlook Express, etc.) try sending your message from the verizon.net website. If this resolves the issue, then it is something that your client is adding to the message that is causing it to be blocked.

If the Subject line of your message has a whole bunch of "Fwd: Fwd: Re: Fwd:" try removing some of them.

Remove any links/URLs from the email one at a time to isolate if one of them is causing the block.

Some people have suggested sending the message to check@isnotspam.com for investigation. This may work for you as well.

newtown_rob
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've been going through a living nightmare for the past few days trying to get Verizon to admit and fix this problem. They are blocking ALL my outgoing email. (I use Outlook to use a corporate email account to support customers in other countries at night).  I have spent more than 10 hours on hold waiting for customer service, then getting dropped from the line, etc.. When have gotten to speak to someone, they've given me **bleep** suggestions like:

• Use a gmail account instead of my corporate email account to reply to my customer's help request issues
  • All of the issues must be my fault, because they couldn't be Verizon's fault (this is ALWAYS the assumption) - my computer is always kept up to the minutes with patches, etc and has all necessary virus and other protection software. I never load anything except the basic software on it to keep it clean.
  • I shouldn't have a signature block on my emails because that causes problems
  • I should watch my choice of words so that the spam filters don't think that I am trying to sell something
  • Don't include hyperlinks in emails
  • Send each failed email to Verizon so their team can read my personal email and within 24 hours or more, I might be able to try again and maybe then the email will go through - or maybe it won't.  But - they won't tell me when it has been reviewed. Say nothing about privacy issues.

What I am concluding is that Verizon wants us to invent a new sort of language - perhaps we could call it "Spam-Correctness".  It is made up of a bunch of code words that mean other things but pass through spam filters. We would need to teach this language to our customers, but at least we could send emails using Verizon this way.  I would be like "Political Correctness" where polite words replace meaningful words so that nobody is offended - the problem is that 60% of the people who are listening don't understand what is being said, resulting in a useless form of communication.

So, emailing using Verizon is now going back to being comparable to writing a letter, walking down to the post office and mailing it - except that you have a better chance that it will get there is you mail it at the Post Office.

This might be funny if it weren't true.  Yes, Verizon customer support IS this bad - I am not making this stuff up.

Oh, and by the way - nobody could care less about getting it fixed - they are all masters of "it's not my fault" and transferring you to another extention that rings for 30 minutes then disconnects.

They know that they have a contract and if you break it, they will charge your account anyway and do all kind of nasty things to you. I know - when we switched at work even after our contract ended they kept charging us for a year after we cancelled, sent us to a collections agency and a number of other VERY nasty things even though we had cancelled, paid all that we owed. They are the nastiest company in America.

newtown_rob
Enthusiast - Level 2

BTW: the thing they b-l-e-e-p-e-d out was not at all an offensive word...

0 Likes
ElizabethS
Moderator Emeritus

Hi newtown_rob

Sorry you are having difficulty, an agent with access to your account will reach out to you directly by email, private message in the Forums and/or the billing telephone number on your Verizon account for more information to help you resolve your issue.

newtown_rob
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've already spent over 10 hours on the phone with people at three levels of technical support at Verizon. Everyone knows the details. What I really need is someone to DO something instead of just talk about it.

Everyone says how important I am as a customer - you should really hold that stuff to yourselves until you do more than ask me the same questions over and over and over and ...  If you REALLY thought I was important, you wuld DO something more than:

1. keep trying find new ways to blame me for the problem
  2. stop talking and fix the problem

You would rather spend $10,000 talking about fixing the problem than $300 fixing the problem. Very strange economics. Stop protecting the smart people from the customers with your many levels of tiered support and let them fix the problems.

cattledogit
Enthusiast - Level 2

Since at least March of this year, forwarding flagged emails to spamdetector.update@verizon.net no longer seems to have any effect. Verizon customer support doesn't seem to have any suggestions about how to follow up or contact that group. Perhaps that (outsourced) group is overwhelmed and no longer effective.

I found today that shortening the links in my (two) flagged outbound emails using a service like http://ow.ly allowed my emails to escape the spam filter. I realize this doesn't make any logical sense, but that's what worked for me

Anthony_VZ
Master - Level 3

Since we haven't heard back from you on the private support board we escalated your post to or have received a form submission, it appears assistance is no longer required. If you need any future help with your Verizon service, please make a post here on the forums so we can assist.

0 Likes
daisey11

Verizon WHY ARE YOU BLOCKING MY EMAILS????   For the past couple of weeks some of my outgoing and incoming emails have been blocked.  THEY ARE NOT SPAM EMAILS.  I do not need you to scan my emails.  Please fix it.  

0 Likes
doug3960mad
Enthusiast - Level 1

Glad I'm not the only one who just got snaired.  Don't bother wasting time by sending your private confidential email to spamdetector.net.  Been doing it all day.  No help at all. I even sent blank test emails. Got bounced and stay bounced.

There are lots of ISP's out there, and plenty of companies who will give me a free email account.  I'm guessing my 193.00 a month Verizon bill doesn't ring the "Customer is Important" bell.  When a company stops caring, they've gotten too big for their britches. 

0 Likes
doug3960mad
Enthusiast - Level 1

Can't say this will fix everyone's issue but I downloaded the In Home agent app and let it do a auto fix of my outlook verizon email account and it worked. I'm not a silver contributor or employee.  The top of this forum doug_vz makes mention of it.  Time will tell if it actually solved the problem permanently. If not I'm calling Brighthouse.