What does this mean for an Apple Mail user? Is this message even real?
jse56

Dear Verizon Internet Customer,

At Verizon, we continue our efforts to enhance your online experience as well as ensure ongoing security for our Internet customers.  As a result, Verizon Online has modified the way email is handled when sent or received through an email application other than MyVerizon. 

If you only use MyVerizon to access your email account, no action is required and you may disregard this email.  If you do, however, use other applications to access your Verizon email, such as Outlook Express®, you will need to modify your email settings to take advantage of enhanced security we now offer. 

In order to make these modifications, please visit ...://verizon.com/emailsettings for information about the  email settings you need to update.  Additional information may also be available by going to our online forum at ...://forums.verizon.com/. 

Thanks for being a valued Verizon Online customer and we encourage you to act now to ensure your email account has the proper settings on a going-forward basis.      

Sincerely,

Verizon Online

0 Likes
Re: What does this mean for an Apple Mail user? Is this message even real?
fmelrose
Enthusiast - Level 1

Presuming that the message is real, I tried to make changes detailed at  http://verizon.com/emailsettings to the configuration window of my Apple Mail account. .  Apple Mail allows setting only one port (I presume for incoming mail) and allows setting SSL and authentication method for that port.   

So there is no way to follow these instructions

Outgoing Server Port Numbers: 465  Why is this important?

> Make sure SSL encryption is enabled for the incoming and outgoing mail server.

I've set my outgoing server to outgoing.verizon.net as directed.  Need I do more? If so, where?

(Glad I don't rely on Verizon for my main email account)

A detailed step by step for Apple Mail users would be appreciated

0 Likes
Re: What does this mean for an Apple Mail user? Is this message even real?
JamesParks

I believe it's real but the instructions are not accurate, or all features are not enabled on the ISP side. For me (after some fiddling with the settings)incoming ssl is OFF and outgoing ssl is ON. Plus leaving OFF the verizon.net on the username only work for me as well. A bit frustrating.

0 Likes