Re: Why are some emails re-downloaded from Verizon (AOL) server to Outlook 2016 causing doubles?
RonRo

My Outlook 2010 was set, apparently by default, to automatically send & receive every 15 min.  Regrettably, this setting didn't resolve the problem we've been experiencing.  I didn't know that Yahoo continued to host Verizon email.  When I first started with Verizon as my ISP a long time ago, I selected Yahoo to host my Verizon email.  After repeated problems in which the server went down, I persuaded Verizon to switch me to their server. Apparently that was mistake in hindsight.

0 Likes
Re: Why are some emails re-downloaded from Verizon (AOL) server to Outlook 2016 causing doubles?
Richard572
Enthusiast - Level 1

I had tried to switch to AOL after receiving an email from them.  I was concerned that I would lose my email address.  However, every time I tried to log into their website, my Verizon email address was not recognized.  So I have just continued to use Yahoo.

0 Likes
RonRo

Well, so much for my suggestion last week of permanently deleting extraneous messages, bypassing the recycling bin.  After about 2-weeks of no new occurrence, it just happened again. And I wasn't on either device that's using the Outloook email client when these extra downloads occurred.  But I did get a clue to what's happening! I erroneously marked one recent message with a red priority rather than a flag.  A few minutes later, I changed the marked message to a flag. Today, that message got downloaded again, marked as a red priority (and not flagged, as saved locally). My guess, AOL has redundant servers that are not synchronized.  AOL, are you listening? (Of course not) 

0 Likes
Richard572
Enthusiast - Level 1

Another thing that I did, before I changed the timing, was to more the messages in my Yahoo inbox to their "Already Read" folder.  That also kept the duplicate messages from being downloaded.  That is not a practical solution since you would have to do that on a periodic basis.  Good luck with AOL!

0 Likes
dg332

The ultimate problem is that instead of letting AOL go bankrupt, as it deserved to do, Verizon decided to buy them so that AOL servers could host its email system. Of course turning over something like that to a company with zero customer service has yielded the results we're experiencing. I signed up for their technical support (first month free) and of course they blamed Microsoft (Outlook) for the problem. I believe the problem is that there is a "flag" not being set in their software that indicates that a message has already been downloaded to the customer's email software on their computer. So periodically (for whatever the reason; the cycle is inconsistent) those same messages are re-downloaded.

The "fix" is to on a daily basis delete the messages in your AOL inbox and spam folder online and then delete them from the trash folder online. The duplicates will stop. It happened to me twice today. The first time I had 99 duplicates (only 99 because I've been deleting message every 2 or 3 days). The second time only a few messages were redownloaded since I just deleted those 99 message and only the few new ones that came in were re-downloaded. It's a kludge of a fix, not a solution, but that's all we can do other than only use gmail or some other email service.

I have Outlook 2010. It's not the version of Outlook it's an AOL problem. However, it never happens to my wife on her laptop so I can't explain why everyone does not experience the problem.

0 Likes
Richard572
Enthusiast - Level 1

Back in May (of 2018) I received an email from Aol asking me to review and agree to the switch over to Oath.  At that time, I clicked on the link, but their software didn't seem to know who I was (although some of their software knew enough to send me an email).  Anyway, my email address is @verizon.net and it is was (and still is) hosted by Yahoo (I guess).  I have had this email address and the Yahoo hosting for many years and it continues to work.

After reading about this problem, someone suggested that increasing the Send/Receive interval to 3 minutes (I also use Outlook 2010) would solve this problem.  It helped a lot, but it still happens occassionally.  I use a folder called "Already Read" as my transfer folder on the Yahoo server.  I haven't done a transfer in a couple of months, and the problem happened just two days ago.

The only thing that can be more annoying than a soltware bug is a wife who is a software engineer (I have one).

0 Likes
VMP1

Did you resolve this problem? I am having the same issue since the servers got switched to AOL. And when I call they want me to pay for technical support. I am so over this. I would like to keep my email address but it's not worth all this hassle. 

0 Likes
Richard572
Enthusiast - Level 1

As I indicated in my previous posts, I was able to minimize the problem but it still happens on rare occassions.

0 Likes
quilt191

Hi.  Nope, still have the same exact problem.  I have now upgraded to Office 2019 (Outlook 2019) and same issue remains.  I want to stay with POP3 and it seems like AOL doesn't seem to care.

I did catch what happens right before this re-duplication is downloaded.  Here is what I was seeing:

0 Likes
glnzglnz
Contributor - Level 3

This is also happening with my aol email account that came from my original verizon email account, on my Outlook 2003.  My email address is still [MyName]@verizon.net, which I want to keep.  

FYI - this is happening on my Outlook 2003 in my Office 2003 on my old XP machine.  It started happening a few weeks ago when I FINALLY moved all my 11 years of email from my original Outlook Express on the XP machine to this Outlook 2003 on the same XP machine -- I'd never used the Outlook 2003 before.  (I did this as a first step in moving my email eventually to Outlook 2016 in my Office 365 on my Win 7 machine, but I haven't gone past Outlook 2003 on XP yet.) 

My emails in Outllok 2003 also include emails in my wife's business account hosted by Network SOlutions, and these do NOT duplicate.

So it's definitely an aol tech problem, and they stink, don't they?

But aol is owned by verizon, so it's again verizon shirking responsibility.

0 Likes