Re: Why won't Outlook 2013 allow me to set up a Verizon.net email account?
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

I post well back

He posted in part

... IMPORTANT: to get this to finally work I had to click on the "More Settings" tab and then the "Outgoing Server" tab.  I clicked the button next to "Log on Using" and had to re-enter my ID and password.  This was the key step for getting this to work for me.  Hope this helps. ..

I.e.  don't rely on using same login but repeat it seperately for the SMTP (outgoing) server.

0 Likes
Margo601

@tns_2 wrote:

I post well back

He posted in part

... IMPORTANT: to get this to finally work I had to click on the "More Settings" tab and then the "Outgoing Server" tab.  I clicked the button next to "Log on Using" and had to re-enter my ID and password.  This was the key step for getting this to work for me.  Hope this helps. ..

I.e.  don't rely on using same login but repeat it seperately for the SMTP (outgoing) server.

I did that, still not working for me....

0 Likes
Jayhawk66
Enthusiast - Level 2

Seems to be a lot of misinformation around regarding Windows 8.1, Outlook 2013, Verizon, and the compatibility.   Actually it seems they all do (or can) work together.  I recently set up two identical desktops, moving in each case from Win 7x64 and Outlook 2010 to Win 8.1x64 and Outlook 2013, with the Verizon element remaining constant. 

But results are different.  On computer 1, everything seems to work OK.

Computer 2 can receive, but not send, and gives the dreaded "cannot connect to your outgoing server" message.

Settings are the same in both cases:   smtp.verizon.net, port 465, etc.  The only difference is Computer 1 happens to be the hardwired one, and Computer 2 is connected wirelessly.  So I'm thinking maybe the router?

Does anybody know?

As a general comment, I'd just say the fact that Verizon has no info sheet on the general problem of email with Outlook 2013, and if you check their set-up instructions, you'll find you are asked to choose between various versions of Outlook but 2013 ISN'T ONE OF THEM, suggests that Verizon is behind the eightball and doesn't much care.  Likewise that Verizon doesn't offer IMAP accounts (which it is said, will work with web-based apps like Outlook.com).

trychterus

Thats odd.  MS says its a verizon problem. Who knew? Bottom line is, both companies are dodging responsibility by blaming the other

@armond_in_nj wrote:

@MPR_Pville wrote:

I got a new PC with Outlook 2013 ... Outlook cannot connect to your incoming (POP3) e-mail server ... It always worked easily with the older versions of Outlook.   Any advice? ...

If you have a new PC you probably have Win 8.  Win 8 doesn't natively support POP email, so do a search on this issue and switch to one of the (many) email applications that will do what you want to do.  BTW this issue had been beaten to death and has nothing to do with VZ.  It an MS "feature."

0 Likes
laanwi

I contacted Microsoft support and Roderick C got me up and working in 30 minutes.  I spent all day yesterday trying to figure it out myself.  Give them a try.

0 Likes
BLevins2

Spent hours trying to get our new computer with Windows 8.1 to let me add my verizon webmail to Outlook 2013.  Eventually gave in and called Verizon. After an hour on the phone, here are the settings that finally worked:

You have to type in a name under User Information. Won't work if you leave it blank.

Incoming mail server: pop.verizon.net

Outgoing: smtp.verizon.net

Check the box to remember password.

Don't check the box to require Secure Password Authentication.

Then click "More settings".  Click "Outgoing Server" tab.

Check "My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication".

Check "Use same settings as my incoming mail server".

Then click "Advanced" tab. Incoming server (POP3) should be 995.  Check "This server requires an encrypted connection (SSL). Outgoing server should be 465. "Use the following type of encrypted connection:"-- choose SSL.

Hope this saves someone some time 🙂

0 Likes
Fidknop

BLevins Wrote:

Spent hours trying to get our new computer with Windows 8.1 to let me add my verizon webmail to Outlook 2013.  Eventually gave in and called Verizon. After an hour on the phone, here are the settings that finally worked:

You have to type in a name under User Information. Won't work if you leave it blank.

Incoming mail server: pop.verizon.net

Outgoing: smtp.verizon.net

Check the box to remember password.

Don't check the box to require Secure Password Authentication.

Then click "More settings".  Click "Outgoing Server" tab.

Check "My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication".

Check "Use same settings as my incoming mail server".

Then click "Advanced" tab. Incoming server (POP3) should be 995.  Check "This server requires an encrypted connection (SSL). Outgoing server should be 465. "Use the following type of encrypted connection:"-- choose SSL.

Hope this saves someone some time :smileyhappy:

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Fidknop Replies:

OMG doOd!!!!  It worked!! HA HA!!!!! It worked.... I've been trying for sooooo long. You, deserve a medal (or at least a raisin).  

Seriously - THANK YOU!!   

0 Likes
Outlook 365-unable to see Sent Emails originally sent from diff device
VerizonUser116

I just bought a new Dell PC and downloaded the one-month trial version of Microsoft 365. I wanted to see if I liked it instead of buying Microsoft Office 2013 for Home and Business. I set up my email account as noted here and can see all of my Inbox emails. But I cannot see any Sent emails in the Sent folder if they were sent from a different device. I can see emails sent from my new PC. I have tried every possible variation setup with no success. I have literally been at this 3 days searching Microsoft and Verizon support pages. I called MS who said that they could not help me b/c I have not yet bought their software. I explained that the one-month trail is supposed to allow me to use it so I can decide if I want to continue with leasing it or buy it outright. I am desperate to get this fixed ASAP. Thanks to everyone who have contributed to this email string!!!

0 Likes
YKPAIHA

Worked for me

• Enter your email
  • Incoming mail server (POP3): pop.verizon.net
  • Outgoing mail server (SMTP): smtp.verizon.net
  • Enter your user name
  • enter password
  • select check box - Remember password
  • leave require logon using Secure Password Authentication (SPA) unchecked

click MoreSettings button

Outgoing Server tab

•  Select My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication

Advanced tab: 

• Incoming server (POP3): 995 port
  • CheckBox checked - This server requires an encrypted connection (SSL)
  • Outgoing server (SMTP): 465 port
  • Use the following type of encrypted connection - select SSL

Clcik OK to save, test your connection

0 Likes