Wow - is AOL Handling of the Email Really Pathetic.
carpboy
Enthusiast - Level 2

This. Is. Brutal.

In my 100 or so legitimate emails per day, it was essentially spam free. Yes, there would be waves where stuff comes through, but then it would cease. I don't know if that was a backbone level filtering or VZ, but it mostly worked.

So now the switch. I do all my email POP3 so it *should* not be an issue.

Yeah, right.

The INSTANT I made the switch, my first poll of the POP3 server gave me a TON of spam. Frustratingly, when the headers are examined, almost all of them have the x-Verizon-Spam: as "yes" and the Cloudmark header x-CMAE_Score: as "100".

So the email has been identified as spam but delivered anyway! Yes, I have spam filetering enabled in the new setup.

So off to the webmail page I go, and eventually find the settings between all the in your face ads, check everything, all ok it seems.

Open the spam folder, and there is a TON of stuff in there that did not get delivered. OK, that's good, but why is it delivering the other junk that has definitively been flagged as spam?

Worse yet are a TON of emails that are totally legitimate, stuff I got all the time with VZ is now being flagged as spam.

So I go through the good stuff and mark it as not spam. Great. Not great. Apparently all that does is move it to be delivered on the next poll. And it isn't retentive. I have to do it over and over and over and over.......

What an amazingly poor service. It is without a doubt the dregs of any major ISP email offering.

Re: Wow - is AOL Handling of the Email Really Pathetic.
kornides

I've been having half of the same problem -- the legitimate mail getting stuck in the spam folder...  I tried making a filter to send some to its own folder, since most of the good mail going to spam is from a group/list (though not from yahoo or google) and it sends about half of it to the folder, which I then have to go to the webmail page and move back to the inbox so my POP client can download it... 

I'm tempted to turn the spam filter off (is that even possible?) since my POP client (the  ancient and venerable Eudora) deals with spam better than AOL...

0 Likes
markstvn

Agreed, email is bad.  When it works it is ok.  I'm having serious delivery delay problems, today is the second time.  Sometimes delays are hours.  Also, both myself and my secretary who have had a business account for many years, have had senders tell us that the server rejected the email, starting today.  We have used it for several weeks and today is the first time some senders got email rejection notices.  Most mail gets through a few are bounced to sender, the message after translating the code is that the address doesn't exist.

I also have noticed that a fair number of legitimate emails are ending up in the Spam Folder at AOL Webmail.  I don't usually use the AOL Webmail, I use Outlook as a client.  I now have to bounce back and forth between The Web and Outlook, it is a huge headache.  I notice that you can turn the Spam Filter off through the Webmail.  I think I'm going to do it, and let Outlook catch the spam, at least I won't be wondering what I didn't legitimately get.

We both use this account for a business, and have Business service through Verizon, and it's not cheap.  At first it appeared as if the new AOL mail would work, but it is proving to be so unreliable, that I might have to start using another primary account for my business.  There really isn't a good way to complain to AOL.  I am fed up with it.  Between the good mail landing in the spam, the delays in delivery, and the bounce messages my senders are getting, this is the worst email service I have ever used.  I with Verizon would read this community forum and do something about the service.  I know this isn't a forum for company support, but they need to work this out.  

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Double check that you have the spam filter set as active on AOL.  If they are flagging as spam, which you said, then the should be handled as you have the spam filter set.

0 Likes
misterbill99
Contributor - Level 1

I just posted what appear to be very similar problems in a new thread:

https://forums.verizon.com/t5/Verizon-net-Email/Anyone-else-completely-fed-up-with-AOL-email/td-p/84...

Bounced emails, delivery delays, valid mail showing up in the spam folder. Very frustrating since I had very few problems with the Verizon servers.

Can someone recommend a good low-cost mail provider? I guess I could just use Gmail instead. At least it works.

0 Likes
carpboy
Enthusiast - Level 2

Late update to this:

Spam folder enabled, emails passing through to the main inbox, as I said, with the spam headers apparently indicating it was detected.

I had to turn off the spam folder to get all my false positives into my POP account. I WILL NOT use web for email, that is just extremely silly.

But I have to admit that the spam filtering upstream seems to be better. The amount of raw spam entering my mailbox is a lot lower the last couple of months.

0 Likes