Re: yet another victim of the Verizon blacklisting
pfps
Enthusiast - Level 3

@tns_2 wrote:

It now says

"Additionally, we have implemented measures to prevent future unauthorized access attempts which may affect your ability to access your Verizon.net email from locations outside the U.S. If you experience difficulty reaching your Verizon.net email account, you can always access it online at mail.verizon.com or through the Verizon My FiOS app for mobile devices. For further information see the Verizon Webmail FAQs. "

In the context of the message (about people whose entire account is turned off) this paragraph is not helpful.  It doesn't talk about POP or SMTP access at all.

What does it take to have a  message that describes the problem (no access to the Verizon POP and SMTP servers from a large part of the internet) and how to fix the problem (which it not currently truely possible)?

peter

0 Likes
rbpeirce
Enthusiast - Level 3

@pfps wrote:

I, too, am unable to connect to pop.verizon.net or smtp.verizon.net from my current location.  This is not a problem with my account as I can read email through the web interface.

It really appears that Verizon is blacklisting many portions of the internet and refusing to service email requests from there.  That they are doing this indicates that there is some sort of emergency.  However, it would be very useful to have some information about what is going on so that we don't spend so much time trying to fix the situation.

Ditto. I can connect with no problem in PA but am unable to do so in VA.  This is purely an IP problem.  The same problem existed last month when I was here and my ISP put me on a different IP block.  It isn't available this month so I am back to the old block.  My ISP says this is 104.244.160.0/22, but my assigned IP is {edited for privacy}.

I can go to a public, non-Verizon, wi-fi hotspot and connect with no problem so it is clearly the IP block I am on at this location.

I can't even figure out who to contact at Verizon about this.  I have submitted whilelist requests without any response.  Last month I tried phone calls to Verizon but none of the CSRs seemed to have any idea what I was talking about.  I really need an inside contact of some sort.

This is amusing but I checked email me if somebody replies.  Then I realized I wouldn't get it so I changed to a non-Verizon email address that does work!

RBP
0 Likes
rbpeirce
Enthusiast - Level 3

@tns_2 wrote:

If for example all ABCD ISP's addresses are being blocked (or at least a lot of them), it would be better if you asked ABCD to contact Verizon about getting their addressses whitelisted.  That way if you get a different IP address from ABCD the next time you connect, you will have access.

Nice, but no.  My ISP asked me to try getting whitelisted because he couldn't.  He thought a Verizon customrer, which I am, might have better luck.  In two successive whitelist requests I told Verizon the affected block, as given to me by the ISP, was 104.244.160.0/22and that my current IP was {edited for privacy}.  I still can't log in from this block of addresses although I can go to a nearby free wi-fi location and log on.

The big problem seems to be trying to contact somebody at Verizon that understands the problem and can correct it.

RBP
0 Likes
Kip351

This is my first post.  I'd like to thank all contributors to this thread; it has clarified a problem I and my wife have had for a long time.  FWIW, I've just been told by Verizon tech support that pop.verizon.net is not configured to work outside the U.S., but they cannot tell me why or refer me to any place this is documented.  Nor have they been able to tell me whether there is an alternative POP server for use outside the U.S.  Frankly, I'm skeptical of everything I'm told and doubt the front-line service reps really know the answer.  I _am_ concerned that Verizon has permanently disabled POP service outside the U.S. and that access via webmail or the Verizon My FIOS mobile app will be the only options available to us.  

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Hi Kip351,

Please see the following post concerning overseas email access:

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/Verizon-net-Email/Email-Access-Overseas/td-p/744863

0 Likes
pfps
Enthusiast - Level 3

As of today, Verizon email is available in Canada, at least for me.

Of course, no information on Verizon about the change.

0 Likes
rbpeirce2

Me too in VA.  I have Verizon DSL in PA but use a local service in VA.  I put in a Whitelist request every time I come to VA.  Today, I just fired up my computer and it downloaded my Verizon mail.

0 Likes